Walk the North Sydney museum trail ... to
Don Bank, St Thomas Rest Park, Sexton's Cottage (34MB)
Don Bank Museum
Don Bank information brochure (4MB)
The Sydney Morning Herald on 20 October 1854 said it was:
A pretty marine villa with commanding views of Port Jackson.
Don Bank is the oldest timber house in North Sydney. Built in the first half of the 19th century, it was acquired by North Sydney Council in 1979 and converted into a local history museum, and is one of Council's premier historical sites open to the public. It is a rare example of an early timber slab house nestled in a remnant Victorian garden. Featuring the history of the house and its former occupants, Don Bank's displays focus on social history and our changing times.
Hours: Wednesdays 12-3pm & Sundays 2-4pm, February to mid-December (but Closed public holidays)
Address: 6 Napier St, North Sydney, 2060
Phone: 9936 8400
Hire Available for hire by community groups for regular meetings, read the information pack (6MB).
The following groups already meet at the museum:
- Live Poets at Don Bank www.facebook.com/livepoetsdonbank
Fourth Wed of month, 7.30-10.30pm: 0422 263 373
- Lacemakers of Calais
Third Sat of month, 1-3pm (quarterly): 9440 3334
St Thomas Rest Park
"Life and death on the north side."
Dedicated in 1848, St Thomas' Cemetery was the first burial ground on the North Shore. It was converted to a Rest Park in the 1970s. The Park contains interpretative signage for self-guided walks. Take a walking tour to some of the significant graves with these guides:
St Thomas Rest Park walking guide (2MB)
St Thomas Rest Park - Sailors, soldiers and civil servants (408KB)
View an A-Z index of burials: go to the Australian Cemeteries website
Search the St. Thomas' Cemetery: Headstones index
Sexton's Cottage Museum
Sexton's Cottage, once used for laying out bodies prior to burial, was restored and turned into a museum in 1984. It houses resources for researching the history of the cemetery and those buried there.
Hours Thursdays 1-4pm, February-December (but Closed public holidays)
The Rest Park itself is open every day.
Address: 250 West St, Crows Nest
Phone: 9936 8400