North Sydney Traffic and Parking Area Schemes
The North Sydney Community Strategic Plan states that for a reliable, accessible and sustainable transport system, we will:
- Promote equity of access to public and community transport.
- Incorporate true environmental and social costs in our transport planning.
- Pursue improvement and expansion of sustainable transport options.
- Encourage the use of alternative modes of transport to the private car.
Some of the stated aims with regard to transport include:
- The impact of the private car on our community and environment is dramatically reduced.
- The frequency, quality and diversity of public transport throughout North Sydney is increased.
- Pedestrians and cyclists enjoy easy and safe access throughout North Sydney.
- Transport management is coordinated at a regional level.
North Sydney Traffic and Parking Strategy
North Sydney Council has adopted an Integrated Traffic and Parking Strategy which outlines the key principles in Council’s approach to traffic and parking management on Council roads in line with the objectives and goals of the Community Strategic Plan.
Traffic and Parking Area Schemes (TAPAS)
Traffic and Parking Area Schemes (TAPAS) Action Plans will be developed for each of the seven TAPAS zones outlined in the Integrated Traffic and Parking Strategy. TAPAS Action Plans are similar to Local Area Traffic Management (LATM) Plans. The Action Plans will be used to form and prioritise the Capital Works Program for transport projects for the next 5 years (from 2016) and to plan changes to parking restrictions.
The first phase of community engagement for development of the draft TAPAS Action Plans was undertaken between February and May 2016. Council received over 2,000 submissions across the 7 TAPAS zones, including over 5,000 comments relating to specific locations.
All feedback received was collated and analysed, and the Stage 1 findings were reported to Council on 18 July 2016.
Council has developed the Draft Traffic and Parking Area Scheme (TAPAS) Action Plans to manage traffic and parking across 7 Zones. The Action Plans will be used to coordinate a program of works and projects over the next 10 years. The Action Plans will also be updated and reviewed on an ongoing basis to ensure they are relevant and up-to-date.
The Draft TAPAS Action Plans are currently on public exhibition until 9 October 2017. For further information visit Draft TAPAS plans