Liquor Licensed Premises

What is a liquor licence?

A liquor licence is required to sell alcohol in most situations, however there are some limited circumstances when a licence is not needed. Liquor licences are issued by Liquor & Gaming NSW, under the provisions of the Liquor Act 2007 and the Liquor Regulation 2018.


What is the liquor licensing legislation?

The most recent legislation, Liquor Regulation 2018, came into force in NSW on 1 July 2018.

The legislation recognises the importance of minimising alcohol-related harm, and the social and cultural role played by responsible alcohol use.


What is the role of Liquor & Gaming NSW?

Liquor & Gaming NSW is responsible for the regulation of liquor, wagering, gaming, and registered clubs in NSW. It is also committed to partnering with industry to support business.


What type of licence do I need?

There are various types of liquor licences. The licence selector tool on the Liquor & Gaming NSW website helps applicants choose the most appropriate licence for their business or event.


Is development consent required if I apply for a liquor licence?

The need to obtain development consent or not will depend on what is being proposed in connection with the obtaining of a liquor licence.

Development consent is required if any of the following are proposed: 

  • the change of use to or construction of a new restaurant, café, hotel, pub, club, function centre or the like
  • the existing business seeks to alter its approved hours of operation, or to vary any conditions of a previous development consent
  • where an existing restaurant or café also seeks to become a "wine bar" (where the primary activity is the sale of liquor) within its existing approved operating hours, as this constitutes a "change of use"

Development consent is not required if an existing restaurant or café seeks to obtain a liquor licence (an "on-premises licence" where the primary activity is the sale of food) but only if it is operating within its existing consent conditions (i.e. no changes to patron numbers, or hours of operation). 


Are there any Council controls relating to liquor licensing?

Where a proposal requires development consent as outlined above, all applications will be assessed under the provisions of North Sydney LEP 2013 and North Sydney DCP 2013 and merit considerations under Section 4.15 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act.

Section 7 of Part B of the North Sydney DCP 2013 contains specific controls relating to the operation of premises which have liquor licences, including restrictions on operating hours and requirements for management plans to minimise impacts on residential amenity at night.