North Sydney Council encourages footpath trading within limits.
Our policy and guidelines (and DCP 2013) aim to safeguard a fair and equitable sharing of the footpath for trading purposes and of course for maintaining safe pedestrian access.
Solutions may be worked out with individual retailers, in accordance with the following policies and guidelines:
Outdoor Dining and Goods on Footpath Policy (130KB)
Outdoor dining and goods on footpath Guidelines (16MB)
Section 8 - Outdoor Dining and Display of Goods on the Footpath (258KB) (DCP 2013)
Note: Smoking is prohibited in outdoor dining areas on Council-owned land.
Outdoor Seating permit
Council is responsible for managing the footpaths. To ensure pedestrian access and safety is maintained, a permit is required to place outdoor seating within a boundary, or to display goods on the footpath.
Permit for Outdoor Dining & Displaying Goods (312KB)
Before you distribute any advertising leaflets you will need a permit and prior approval from Council. The permit allows for distribution of leaflets only; these may include flyers, business cards, brochures, newspapers and magazines. It does not give permission to distribute food items, promotional merchandise or sample products.
To apply for a permit you will need:
All applications must be accompanied by a Certificate of Currency (Public Liability Insurance). The applicant's name must match the name of the insured. The Certificate of Currency must include:
- Name of the insured.
- Amount insured (minimum $10 million).
- Policy number.
- Duration of cover.
- Name and details of the insurer.
- Leaflet distribution is only allowed at the times specified in the permit.
- Leaflet distribution may only be conducted in the areas nominated on the form. Roaming the streets is not permitted.
- If the distribution requires access to private property, the owners(s) consent must be obtained prior to distribution.
- Persons distributing leaflets must not impede the flow of pedestrians. Pedestrian access must be maintained at all times.
- No tables, props, equipment, stages, back drops or marquees are to be used.
- Any vehicle brought to the location are to be parked according to Australian Road Rules. Vehicles are not to be parked on footpaths, parks or reserves.
- Amplification prohibited.
- All litter resulting from the distribution must be removed.
Failure to comply with the above will result in the forfeiture of the bond and/or infringement penalties.