The Primrose Park tennis courts will undergo a full refurbishment thanks to a $2.1 million grant from the Federal Government. Works will begin on 21 June.
The Primrose Park Tennis Courts Refurbishment project will primarily be funded through the $2.1 million Federal Government grant from the Local Road and Community Infrastructure Program.
Council will cover any other costs, as necessary. The project is expected to be complete in six to nine months.
Once complete, the upgraded facility will include four new tennis courts with synthetic grass and line markings, new court lighting, a new ‘hit-up’ practice wall, and new equipment including nets, fencing and seating. There will also be new change facilities, a tennis shop, a new communal BBQ area, and a small children’s playground.
Council awarded the tender for works on 26 April and construction will begin on 21 June. This will involve full demolition of the existing tennis courts before ground works can begin and a new concrete slab laid.
• A new concrete slab underneath the tennis courts.
• Four new tennis courts surfaced with new synthetic grass and line marking.
• New nets, fencing, seating and shelters.
• Upgraded tennis court lighting to comply with current regulations.
• A refurbished Tennis Pro shop and upgraded male/female toilet and change facilities.
• New outdoor seating and a communal BBQ area will be constructed adjacent to the Tennis Pro shop.
• A new "hit up wall" at the western end of the courts.
• A small new children's playground will be installed at the courts.
• Drainage improvements to address existing drainage issues in and around the courts.
• New landscaping and paving in and around the courts.
While the works are underway, the Primrose Park Tennis Club will be relocated to the Green Park courts, after Council approved their lease arrangement at the 26 April Council Meeting. The lease will be effective for approximately nine months. You can read the lease details in the attachment below:
Deed of Lease Green Park Tennis Courts (489KB)
Green Park comprises of two tennis courts with public amenities. The tennis courts are not suitable for evening use as there is no lighting available. Below lists when the club will be using the court as part of their lease agreement. The general public can use the courts free of charge (on a first come, first served basis) outside of the clubs operational time.
Temporary Lease Operational Times
Monday 7am-12pm & 2pm-5pm
Tuesday 7am-11.30am & 3pm-5pm
Wednesday 7am-12pm & 2pm-5pm
Thursday 7am-12pm & 2.30pm-5pm
Friday 7am-12pm & 3pm-5pm
Saturday 8am - 2pm
Sunday 8am - 12pm
The tennis courts were constructed in 1985/86 on reclaimed landfill at the former sewerage treatment works site. Over the years, there has been settlement on the site, resulting in some displacement of the tennis court slab.
External engineering consultants advised Council that adding a topping slab or fully replacing the slab would only be a temporary fix and that a new suspended slab with piles inserted into the bedrock would need to be built. Because the courts were built on landfill, Council may also need to address issues of land contamination when this is complete.
With the high costs involved, Council appealed to the Federal Government for help and was granted the funding for the project.
Back to Listing