UPDATE 20 JULY 2021
At the Council meeting on 28 June 2021, they considered the post-exhibition report and resolved:
- THAT Council notes the community feedback received during the trial pedestrian plaza and road closure in Young Street Neutral Bay.
- THAT Council notes the results of the Traffic Study as well as the Human Movement Data Study that was undertaken during the trial pedestrian plaza and road closure in Young Street Neutral Bay.
- THAT Council proceeds with the detailed design and construction of the permanent road closure and new public plaza in Young Street, Neutral Bay as per the concept design attached to this report
- THAT the current Young Street Road closure and public plaza remain in place until the commencement of the permanent construction works in late 2021.
- THAT traffic calming measures at the Young Street end of Grosvenor Lane be installed concurrently with the permanent road closure works.
- THAT Council reconsiders the container’s use at this location.
The works are part of Council’s ongoing efforts to make the shopping and commercial strip more appealing as a shopping destination for residents and visitors.
The plaza provides open space suitable for the entertainment of residents and visitors, it will generate a destination that attracts visitors and stimulates broad community interest while improving the economic value of the area, it will boost village vitality and retail activity, and it will generate space for active recreation for all ages.
These works are fully funded by Transport for NSW (TfNSW) as part of the funding deed with Council for the streetscape upgrade works that complement the Northern Beaches B-Line Bus Service.
For further information contact Garth Shayler, Council's Project Manager, Engineering and Property Services Division on 9936 8100.
Vehicular Traffic in Young Street between Military Road and Grosvenor Lane is detoured to adjacent streets.
At its meeting of 26 August 2019, Council resolved to:
undertake further design development and traffic impact assessment for the proposed Young Street Plaza to address the feedback raised during the community consultation; and
implement a trial closure of Young Street for a period of 3 months (extended), with feedback sought and reported back to Council.
Trial Plaza Highlights:
Sustainable design principles that are temporary in nature with elements that can be easily removed and/or reused if Council decides not to proceed with the permanent closure after the 3-month trial (extended).
Recreation and entertainment space for residents and visitors of all ages which can be used day and night, that is contemporary, creative, to boost the village vitality and retail activity.
This project is fully funded by Transport for NSW (TfNSW) as part of the funding deed with Council for the streetscape upgrade works that complement the Northern Beaches B-Line Bus Service.
During the trial period, Council assessed the traffic and parking impacts of the road closure to gain an understanding of the effects of the permanent road closure, consulted extensively with the community and business owners, and made an informed decision about the future of the plaza.
Numbered left to right
- Pedestrian Crossing with security planter boxes.
- Pavilion – Multipurpose space to provide screening to Military Road
- Play 'House'
- Play 'House'
- Basement access to be maintained
- Floor Graphic
Back to Listing
Posted on 15 September 2021