Torpedo Factory Design Concept – Public Exhibition – Invitation for Public Comment
The public is invited to have their say on the Harbour Trust’s new design concept for the Torpedo Factory at Sub Base Platypus, North Sydney.
View the design concept and submit a comment
The design concept will be on public exhibition from Tuesday, 12 February 2019 to Tuesday, 26 March 2019.
The deadline for submitting feedback is 5 pm AEST on Tuesday, 26 March 2019.
For further information, please see www.harbourtrust.gov.au or phone (02) 8969 2100. The Harbour Trust is the planning authority for Sub Base Platypus.
The Harbour Trust is moving forward with plans to rehabilitate the former HMAS Platypus site on Neutral Bay.
The Harbour Trust invited Expressions of Interest to become part of Sub Base Platypus - closed 31 October 2017.
The Harbour Trust is selecting a tenancy mix in keeping with the approved Management Plan.
The EoI stage is followed by a more detailed Requests for Proposals (RfP) process.
For more information visit https://subbaseplatypus.com.au
The Harbour Trust’s vision is to create a landmark location for the people of Sydney. The revitalisation of Platypus will open up the fascinating spaces of this former industrial site for the first time in 150 years and will integrate the urban park with the surrounding neighbourhood.
The site was formerly a gasworks factory that was partially resumed by the Commonwealth Government as a torpedo manufacturing facility during WWII. In 1967 it became the base for the Royal Australian Navy’s Oberon Class submarines and was renamed HMAS Platypus.
In September 2003 the Federal Minister for Environment approved a comprehensive plan for the Harbour Trust’s sites. The Comprehensive Plan is a broad strategic plan which sets out a vision for the sites and includes a process for preparing more detailed management plans for specific places or buildings.
The former HMAS Platypus was included as an amendment to the Comprehensive Plan in May 2009.
Building on the overall vision established in the Comprehensive Plan, site-specific Management Plans were developed. They identify desired outcomes, including suitable land. HMAS Platypus is the most recent addition to the Harbour Trust. The Management Plan was approved in December 2016 and guides the revitalisation of the site as an urban parkland.
Consultation on the Platypus Management Plan took place between 12 August and 23 September 2016, to which Council made a submission.
Council at its meeting of 19 September 2016 resolved (Min. No. 302): View the report to Council on 19 September 2016 (29MB).
- THAT Council resolve to support the general re-activation and adaptive reuse of the HMAS Platypus site.
- THAT Council express concern regarding the unknown and potentially undesirable amount of commercial or other unsympathetic uses proposed for the site.
- THAT Council seek clarification from Sydney Harbour Trust (SHFT) regarding the mix of Commercial and Community uses at the site.
- THAT Council resolve to support development of access to the site in accordance with the contents of this report including a pedestrian link across Kesterton Park and creation of a shared way on Kiara Close.
- THAT Council engage in discussions with SHFT to determine the suitability and practicality of creating community facilities and or activities on the Platypus site.
- THAT Council seek an enhanced role in determining uses and activities on site.
- THAT Council make a further submission to SHFT addressing the issues raised in this report.
- THAT the City Strategy Division be the central point of contact for future interactions with the SHFT
Back to Listing
Posted on 12 February 2019