Public Amenities Strategy & Action Plan
This Strategy and Action Plan adopted by Council will ensure that Council has a strategic framework to continuously improve its network of public amenities:
North Sydney Public Amenities Strategy & Action Plan (4MB)
North Sydney Council aspires to be the leading edge in serving the community of North Sydney by caring for its assets, improving the appearance of its assets and delivering services to its people in a financially, socially and environmentally responsible manner.
The Council has identified its local government area (LGA) as a place that will attract events (such as major regional and sporting activities, cultural and entertainment activities) and aspires to be a destination of choice for international and domestic visitors to Sydney.
Public amenities, in the form of sanitary facilities, improve the quality of the public domain, its pedestrian amenity and the liveability of the local government area (LGA).
North Sydney Council owns, manages and maintains over 35 public sanitary facilities in its LGA. These are located in parks, reserves, sporting fields, recreational and community facilities, civic centres and car parks.
This Strategy and Action Plan adopted by Council will ensure that Council has a strategic framework to continuously improve its network of public amenities to ensure that they are placed in locations that best meet the community’s needs and are designed to meet best practice standards in terms of the following:
- Design Excellence
- Asset Management
- The incorporation of other compatible uses - "Multipurpose facilities"
Key issues, expressed by the community, in regard to public sanitary facilities include:
- Location/ siting of toilets in key destinations - such as transport nodes, retail areas and public areas.
- Availability and quality of amenities.
- Presentation of amenities.
- Universal accessibility.
- Signage and wayfinding of facilities from the public domain.
- Safety of amenities in siting and lighting - to enable surveillance.
Key outcomes of the Strategy are:
- Provide direction on the appropriate location of public toilets throughout the LGA.
- Ensure provision of well-distributed public sanitary facilities – best practice being within 400m (5-10 minutes walk) of major transport nodes, sporting, recreational, community and retail facilities, tourist attractions, entertainment precincts, public event spaces and major gathering places.
- Provide design guidelines for public sanitary facilities to be used throughout the LGA.
- Ensure the maintenance and cleaning of sanitary facilities occurs to an appropriate standard.
- Encourage developments for public use (such as shopping centres, community, institutional and infrastructure facilities) to provide public sanitary facilities in appropriate locations, in compliance with Building Code of Australia requirements.
- Implement a public toilet network through a range of media to include compliant signage on toilet doors, wayfinding signage from streets and pathways that access the toilets, and toilet maps at bus stops and public transport terminals.
- Provide a 10 year action plan for the improvement of public sanitary facilities throughout the LGA.
All public amenities within the LGA are to fulfil the following objectives of:
- Ecologically sustainable design
A comprehensive review of all public amenities across the North Sydney Local Government Area (LGA) was undertaken in order to formulate a Public Amenities Strategy and Action Plan. The findings and the recommended Action Plan were reported to Council in March 2016 where Council resolved go to Public Exhibition. A report was then put to Council in June 2016 whereupon the Strategy and Action Plan were adopted.
Enquiries about the Strategy and Action Plan should be directed to - Risha Joseph, Property Officer on 9936 8100.