Be Safe, Not Sorry
In 2015 – 2016 North Sydney Council partnered with NSW Police and the NSW Department of Justice to implement the Be Safe Not Sorry crime prevention initiative. The campaign was a response to a significant increase in stealing from dwellings and identity theft including stealing from mailboxes in the local area.
The Be Safe Not Sorry initiative offered residents:
- A free safety audit for homes – done by the Police Crime Prevention Officer, Harbourside Local Area Command
- A free MicroDOT Property Marking Kit to deter & reduce theft.
- Up to a $400 subsidy rebate for any crime prevention works undertaken, eg. Home alarm, Deadlocks, Keyed window locks, Security screen doors & windows & sensor lights
After one year of monitoring, the initiative was successful with the number of break and enters from a dwelling decreasing by 36% and steal from dwelling down by 22%. All subsidies have now been spent, but we do encourage you to:
- Phone the Crime Prevention Officer of North Sydney Police on 9956 3199 and book a free safety audit.
- Apply for a free MicroDOT Property Marking Kit - call Eric Poulos, North Sydney Council’s Social Planner on 9936 8193. You must be a resident of the North Sydney LGA.
Always report suspicious behaviour, identity theft or crime. Phone NSW Police on 131 444 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. Don't forget to report lost or stolen documents to the organisations that issued them.