Harvest Collective North Sydney
The program is now OPEN
We are delighted to announce that we are now accepting expressions of interest from residents living in big or small apartment buildings to be part of Harvest Collective in 2020 complete the info and let's get started!
2020 Harvest Collective program dates
To participate in Harvest Collective it is a requirement that participants in the program attend the following training sessions:
- Introduction and food gardening basics workshop will be held mid-week on Thursday 10 September from 6-8.30pm.
- A facilitated 4 hr workshop to kickstart your garden will also be held on-site on one day on the weekends between 12 and 20 September, 2020 (dates tbc based on participant preference). Residents must be able to attend this 4hr workshop (9am-1pm) to participate in this program. The day/date can be chosen by residents (pending availability).
- Two additional 2.5 hr follow up workshops will be held
- Thursday 15 October (composting and worm farming), 6pm-8.30pm.
- Thursday 12 November (pest and disease control), 6pm-8.30pm.
- Final presentation, celebration lunch and bus tour of each building's garden will be held on Saturday 5 December.
What is the Harvest Collective?
It is an apartment-based approach to sustainable food providing residents of North Sydney with the skills and knowledge to set up a food garden and increase their understanding of sustainable food - in a shared apartment common area.
It is more than a just a planting day - it is designed to build capacity and help residents manage and maintain their food garden.
What does Harvest Collective hope to achieve?
Since 2018, residents living in apartments have been provided the skills, resources and knowledge to create a shared garden space, learn from each other, and grow and harvest their own food collectively.
- To increase engagement and capacity for Strata to grow their own food in North Sydney
- to increase local food production and consumption
- to reduce food waste going to landfill.
It's a structured program of seed-to-table workshops, with the aim of increasing local food production and consumption through a combination of facilitated hands-on learning and capacity building. Some materials and resources will be provided to help get the food garden up and running.
2019 Summer Program
Five buildings, 50 residents, in apartments from an eight unit low-rise to a 45 unit (14 storey) high-rise. Each building created a food garden that was different and unique to the space that they had available. Check it out:
What the 2019 Summer Harvest Collective participants said about the program....
- Thank you for a brilliant programme. It exceeded expectations and was a huge win for our building to be a part of it. We are harvesting so much food from our garden and working with our neighbours to take it to the next level. More garden beds, bees and hopefully some chickens in the new year!
- Keep it up! Awesome program for all ages and a great way to encourage healthy diets as well as therapeutic activity.
- The workshops off-site and on-site were well run and the contents were very useful. Communication and organisation was fantastic in keeping everyone on track and informed. The excursion was outstanding and provided valuable knowledge.
- The imparting of simple, basic knowledge about vegetable gardening and recycling was excellent, as was the on-site visit which allowed more time for Q&A's
- Keep it up! This sort of programme helps to gradually shift our attitudes and the way we deal with waste for the better.
Can't Wait? Grow your Own Now!
Grab our top tips for growing your own here.
Sustainability Education Officer on 9936 8100, or email firstname.lastname@example.org