In 2014 Council engaged the services of a design team to produce an Upgrade Plan to guide future streetscape and public domain improvements across Crows Nest shopping village. This upgrade will incorporate the finishes and materials adopted by Council within the new Public Domain Style Manual and Design Codes. The consultant team and upgrade plan was guided by a working group consisting of local residents, business owners, precinct and mainstreet committee members and Council staff from each divisions.
The project aims to achieve a number of goals that benefit local residents, businesses and visitors. The project goals have been set to be functional and inviting with minimal impact on the natural environment. The key goals include:
- Creating a contemporary streetscape environment:
- that is a vibrant and visually-connected;
- that encourages collaboration between community and business proprietors;
- that embraces new technology and innovation;
- that improves environmental and cultural performance;
- that maximises the best use of all available space;
- with a unique character that celebrates the rich history and heritage of Crows Nest.
- Making the area safe and accessible for all users.
- A brief review of car parking provisions.
- Creating an environment for safe movement of pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles.
Inline with the upgrade of Crows Nest village was the 2015 works in Ernest Pl.
Recently completed projects
Burlington St Public Domain Upgrade
Upgrade of Burlington St public domain included a refresh of:
- footpath paving
- lighting for safety and night time interest
- street trees, vegetation and garden beds
- seating such as benches and chairs
- street furniture (bollards, signage, bins).
As requested by the Crows Nest Public Domain Working Party (formed in 2014 to guide the Crows Nest Public Domain Upgrade Plan), these works were programmed for completion inline with the opening of the new Woolworths in May 2016.
Ernest Plaza (between Willoughby Ln and Alexander St)
In 2016, Council is in the early stages of preparing tender and construction documents for the Public Domain Upgrade of Ernest Pl between Willoughby Ln and Alexander St. The aim is to extend Ernest Pl through to Alexander St to provide a much needed refresh including; paving, seats, bollards, bike racks, decorative and public lighting. Designs are expected to be completed early next year with construction starting mid-2017.
Willoughby Road Public Domain Upgrade
As part of the 2014 work, Council prepared the early stages of planning to provide a staged refresh to Willoughby Rd in coordination with well needed drainage upgrades between Burlington St and Chandos St.
This project will provide a refresh to the streetscape of Willoughby Rd and outdoor dining bays. These works will include new materials and finishes from the North Sydney Council Public Domain styles Manual including new footpath paving, bins, lights, seating and planting.
This project will be progressively rolled out as funding becomes available.
Back to Listing