Due Completion: 17 November 2017
In 2014 Council engaged the services of a design team to produce an Upgrade Plan to guide future streetscape and public domain improvements across Crows Nest shopping village. This upgrade will incorporate the finishes and materials adopted by Council within the new Public Domain Style Manual and Design Codes. The consultant team and upgrade plan was guided by a working group consisting of local residents, business owners, precinct and mainstreet committee members and Council staff from each divisions.
The project aims to achieve a number of goals that benefit local residents, businesses and visitors. The project goals have been set to be functional and inviting with minimal impact on the natural environment. The key goals include:
- Creating a contemporary streetscape environment:
- that is a vibrant and visually-connected;
- that encourages collaboration between community and business proprietors;
- that embraces new technology and innovation;
- that improves environmental and cultural performance;
- that maximises the best use of all available space;
- with a unique character that celebrates the rich history and heritage of Crows Nest.
- Making the area safe and accessible for all users.
- A brief review of car parking provisions.
- Creating an environment for safe movement of pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles.
Ernest Plaza (between Willoughby Ln and Alexander St)
Inline with the upgrade of Crows Nest village is the works in Ernest Plaza. In 2016, Council prepared tender and construction documents for the Public Domain Upgrade of Ernest Place between Willoughby Ln and Alexander St. The aim is to extend Ernest Place through to Alexander St to provide a much needed refresh including; paving, seats, bollards, bike racks, decorative and public lighting. Designs are expected to be completed early next year with construction starting mid-2017.
Update June 2017
Ernest Plaza Public Domain Upgrade - construction has commenced and will see an extension of the Ernest Place paving through to Alexander Street along with new pedestrian and decorative tree lighting, furniture and planting. The upgrade is expected to be completed within a 14-week duration.
Willoughby Road Public Domain Upgrade
As part of the 2014 work, Council prepared the early stages of planning to provide a staged refresh to Willoughby Rd in coordination with well needed drainage upgrades between Burlington St and Chandos St.
This project will provide a refresh to the streetscape of Willoughby Rd and outdoor dining bays. These works will include new materials and finishes from the North Sydney Council Public Domain styles Manual including new footpath paving, bins, lights, seating and planting.
This project will be progressively rolled out as funding becomes available.
Back to Listing