On 4 August 2017 the NSW Government released its Interim Statement on the future of Crows Nest, St Leonards and the Artarmon industrial area.
The statement includes a draft vision, objectives, guiding principles and 10 character statements that are to guide future development and infrastructure delivery in the precinct over the next 20 years.
This is an important opportunity to have your say on the future of your local area.
For more information, click here
Destination St Leonards
What do you get when you mix some of Sydney’s oldest and most respected
institutions with innovative small business and a young, well-educated community? Destination St Leonards – a vibrant commercial centre with an exciting future.
To view Council’s brochure, click here (14MB)
Council has prepared a planning study of St Leonards / Crows Nest to examine opportunities to increase housing and employment capacity in the area whilst delivering high quality public domain and services to support the current and future community’s needs.
On 29 November 2010 Council resolved to undertake the planning study to deliver:
- new open space in St Leonards / Crows Nest;
- increased investment in St Leonards and decreased commercial vacancy rates, with particular focus on the rejuvenation of the Pacific Hwy between St Leonards train station and the intersection of Pacific Hwy and Willoughby Rd;
- improved connectivity, particularly between St Leonards / Pacific Hwy and Willoughby Rd;
- improved urban design and street level amenity particularly in St Leonards and along the Pacific Hwy; and
- improved building design and residential amenity in St Leonards.
Progress - St Leonards/Crows Nest planning study Aug 2015 (433KB)
Progress - St Leonards/Crows Nest planning study March 2016 (837KB)
Progress - St Leonards/Crows Nest planning study Aug 2016 (748KB)
Progress - St Leonards/Crows Nest planning study March 2017 (940KB)
The study was prepared in stages, refer to the map below for locations
- Precinct 1 was completed in October 2012 and work is underway to implement the scheme.
- Precincts 2 & 3 were completed in May 2015 and work is underway to implement the schemes.
- Precinct 4 did not proceed due to the NSW State Government’s announcement that it would undertake a strategic planning investigation of Crows Nest, St Leonards and the Artamon industrial area as a Priority Precinct. This commenced in July 2016.
Crows Nest Planning Study
In November 2015, the NSW Premier announced plans to build a metro station at Crows Nest.
In July 2016, the State Government announced that it would undertake a strategic planning investigation of Crows Nest, St Leonards and the Artamon industrial areas and prepare a strategy to direct future development and infrastructure provision associated with the Metro station.
Council has prepared the Crows Nest Placemaking and Principles Study to inform Council’s input into the State Government’s investigation and provide both the community and Council with a useful tool to review the draft strategy when exhibited. The study area includes Precinct 1, 2, 3 and 4 as well as other nearby areas including Wollstonecraft and Crows Nest.
For more information, please see the following link http://www.northsydney.nsw.gov.au/crowsnest
The original St Leonards / Crows Nest Planning Study for Precinct 1 was adopted by Council on 5 December 2011. It involved a site analysis, strategy review and consideration of the opportunities and constraints of the area.
The study also established design principles for the future of the area. This includes strengthening the pedestrian network, expanding and rejuvenating open space and adhering to the ‘stepping down’ principle for buildings along the Pacific Highway. Notably, any development opportunity that exceeds the existing controls needs to be supported by public benefits identified in the study including much-needed high quality public domain.
The St Leonards/Crows Nest Planning Study - Precinct 1 Addendum was adopted by Council on 22 October 2012. It presents an Open Space and Pedestrian Masterplan and a Built Form Masterplan which together provide a holistic approach to planning and development in the precinct. The masterplans include provision for:
- an expanded Hume Street Park with a pedestrian link to Willoughby Road;
- widened footpaths along the Pacific Highway and key pedestrian routes; and
- high amenity mixed use buildings on key sites.
Enquiries on Precinct 1 may be directed to Alex Williams on 9936 8100.
St Leonards / Crows Nest Planning Study - adopted Dec 2011 (9MB)
St Leonards / Crows Nest Planning Study Addendum - adopted Oct 2012 (5MB)
Precincts 2 & 3
The Planning Study for St Leonards / Crows Nest – Precincts 2 & 3 has been prepared to manage the high level of development interest near St Leonards Station, protect jobs and deliver much needed public domain and services. The study moves away from the ‘stepping down’ principle for key landholdings located in the centre.
The study proposes:
- upgrading Christie Street Reserve and Mitchell Street Plaza;
- two new linear parks along Mitchell Street and Oxley Street;
- more employment opportunities, including the West Oxley Creative Precinct;
- supporting high quality mixed use towers close to St Leonards Station; and
- a new community arts centre, start-up commercial space, daycare facility and affordable housing.
Enquiries on Precincts 2 & 3 may be directed to Emma Booth on 9936 8100.
St Leonards / Crows Nest Planning Study & - Precincts 2 & 3 - adopted May 2015 (26MB)
Council Report - May 2015 (21MB)
Placemaking and Design Study (SJB 2014) (51MB)
Access Study (Arup 2014) (17MB)
Market Feasibility Study (SGS Economics & Planning 2014) (2MB)
On 21 September 2015, Council resolved that planning work on Precinct 4 be deferred pending announcements by the NSW Government regarding the location and commissioning of the Metro Station in St Leonards/Crows Nest.
Due to the NSW State Government’s announcement in July 2016 that it would undertake a strategic planning investigation and strategy for Crows Nest, St Leonards and the Artarmon industrial precinct, Council resolved on 5 December 2016 to no longer proceed with the St Leonards / Crows Nest Planning Study Precinct 4.
Christie Street Master Plan Guidelines
On 16 May 2016, Council endorsed the Christie Street Master Plan Guidelines. The St Leonards / Crows Nest Planning Study: Precincts 2 & 3 (the Study) identifies 655 and 657 Pacific Highway, 100 Christie Street and Christie Street Reserve as the subject of a master planning process, pending the agreement of the three landowners. Development of a master plan enables a broader range of opportunities to be identified for both the built form and the public domain than could be envisaged under the Study.
The Guidelines are consistent with the Study and set more detailed series of design requirements for the site. The preferred option is estimated to deliver 1,400 jobs and 240 dwellings on the combined site. Public benefits envisaged under the scheme are:
- Upgraded Christie Street Reserve in public ownership;
- A 200 space public bike hub located under the reserve;
- A co-working space, built in the podium in Council ownership;
- A suite of public domain works to the surrounding area; and
- A design competition to inform the development application.
The Guidelines also examine the potential for 100 Christie Street under the Study if the master plan does not proceed.
Enquiries on the Christie Street Master Plan Guidelines may be directed to Emma Booth on 9936 8100.
Christie Street Master Plan Guidelines (5MB)
Legal and Planning Committee report 9 May 2016 on the Christie Street Master Plan