North Sydney Traffic & Parking Strategy
The North Sydney Community Strategic Plan states that for a reliable, accessible and sustainable transport system, we will:
- Promote equity of access to public and community transport.
- Incorporate true environmental and social costs in our transport planning.
- Pursue improvement and expansion of sustainable transport options.
- Encourage the use of alternative modes of transport to the private car.
Some of the stated aims with regard to transport include:
- The impact of the private car on our community and environment is dramatically reduced.
- The frequency, quality and diversity of public transport throughout North Sydney is increased.
- Pedestrians and cyclists enjoy easy and safe access throughout North Sydney.
- Transport management is coordinated at a regional level.
North Sydney Traffic and Parking Strategy
North Sydney Council has adopted an North Sydney Integrated Traffic and Parking Strategy (4MB) which outlines the key principles in Council’s approach to traffic and parking management on Council roads in line with the objectives and goals of the Community Strategic Plan.
The goals of the Strategy are to:
- Improve traffic and parking management across the LGA.
- Ensure that traffic and parking is balanced to meet the needs of road users, particularly residents and businesses both now and into the future.
- Encourage sustainable transport modes as alternatives to private motor vehicle use.
Traffic and Parking Area Schemes (TAPAS)
Traffic and Parking Area Schemes (TAPAS) Action Plans will be developed for each of the seven TAPAS zones outlined in the integrated strategy.
TAPAS Action Plans are similar to Local Area Traffic Management (LATM) plans. TAPAS Action Plans will be used to form and prioritise the Capital Works Program for transport projects for the next ten years (from 2016) and to plan changes to parking restrictions.
Consultation and planning goes through several stages - sought in the creation of the Draft TAPAS plans