Smoothey Park & Gore Cove Reserve
These form integral parts of an open space corridor that extends from Newlands Park in Lane Cove, south to the harbour foreshore. Smoothey Park is a mix of European style parkland and natural bushland areas, while the many vegetation communities in Gore Cove Reserve provide habitat for a diverse range of wildlife.
Smoothey Park runs from Russell Street to Milray Avenue, Wollstonecraft, and is adjacent to Wollstonecraft railway station. Gore Cove Reserve runs from Smoothey park to Berry Island Reserve. Limited on-street parking is available in the surrounding streets.
There are lights, seats, a network of pathways and two bridges over Berry Creek.
The Park connects the railway station to the Greenwich residential area.
The interpretive Gore Cove bush walking track links Smoothey, Greendale and Holloway Parks to Berry Island Reserve via Gore Cove Reserve.
Berry Creek is the longest stretch of natural creek line remaining in North Sydney.
A public hall currently housing a Men's Shed is accessed via Russell Street.
The Smoothey Park Bushcare Group carries out bush regeneration in this park.
Dogs are welcome in Smoothey Park and Gore Cove Reserve; however they must be kept on a leash in bushland areas.
Shell middens found in the area indicate that Aboriginal people frequented this valley, using the creek as a fresh water supply.
Both Smoothey Park and Gore Cove were part of the original Berry/Wollstonecraft estate. Smoothey Park was named after Mr S Smoothey, an Alderman of North Sydney Council from 1911 to 1920, while Gore Cove Reserve is named after Provost Marshall William Gore who was granted land in the area in 1806.
More detailed historical information can be found in the Smoothey Park Plan of Management.