Harvest Collective North Sydney
What is Harvest Collective North Sydney?
Harvest Collective North Sydney is an apartment approach to sustainable food project that provides residents of North Sydney with the opportunity to gain the skills and knowledge to set up a shared apartment common space food garden and increase their understanding of sustainable food.
Previously, the programme focus was to assist individual residents to build their own food garden. In 2018, we want to provide the skills, resources and knowledge for strata to create a shared and social space, learn from each other and grow and harvest their own food, collectively. We will be selecting residents from 5 apartment buildings based on their ability to involve others and to develop a food garden on-site at their building.
Harvest participants experience with previous programme
What does Harvest Collective hope to achieve?
- To increase engagement and capacity for strata to grow their own food in North Sydney
- to increase local food production and consumption
- to reduce food waste going to landfill.
What does it involve?
Harvest Collective is a structured program of seed to table workshops, with the aim of increasing local food production and consumption through a combination of facilitated hands-on learning and capacity building. Some materials and resources will also be provided to help you get your food garden up and running.
- Introduction workshop - February 13th from 6-8 pm
- On-site facilitated workshop to kick-start your garden will be held on-site at each apartment building on one day during the weekend between February 17th-March 3rd, 2018. Residents must be able to attend this full day workshop (9:30am-3:30pm) to participate in this program. The day/date can be chosen by residents (pending availability).
- Additional half-day follow up workshop will be held on Saturday April 7th and is also a compulsory component of the program although not all residents from each building are required to attend the workshop on this day.
- The final presentation and celebration lunch will be held on Sat 7th May.
Complete the EOI to register your interest in this programme. EOI closes on Monday November 6th, 2017.
What the 2014 Harvest participants have said about Harvest North Sydney...
This has been one of the best experiences, thank you so much for investing time and resources in me. It really is appreciated.
Thanks Danielle and Toni for giving up your weekends to run the course, I thought it was really worthwhile and it has changed the way I do things on a daily basis-including growing my own food and shopping for produce.
I found the course most inspiring. I wished everyone in Australia could have had that same experience. I feel privileged indeed! Toni's enthusiasm and passion for her subject was indeed infectious.
Can't Wait? Grow your Own Now!
Grab our top tips for growing your own here.
Please contact our Sustainability Education Officer on 9936 8100 or email email@example.com