Solar Made Simple
To help take the worry out of renewable energy equipment, a group of southern Sydney councils (SSROC) has performed quality screening to select a number of businesess who should be reliable for the supply and installation of renewable energy products.
Click on the link to go directly to Our Solar Future where you will find the preferred supplier list. Of course there are other businesses that also offer good quality service and advice.
The Alternative Technology Association worked with SSROC to assist in the screening process and are a national organisation which offers independent quality advice about all things renewable via forums, magazines and technical reports.
Please refer to the information below about Council development consent.
Is Development Consent required for Solar Photovoltaic systems or Solar Hot Water systems?
Note: Hot-water heat-pumps are a form of solar hot-water system, and are at least as efficient as roof-mounted solar hot water systems, (and especially those with CO2 as the refrigerant gas). Heat pumps do not require any consent.
Planning Guidelines Related to Solar panel Installation
In most cases it is possible to install a solar PV system without Council consent if the following conditions are met:
• Trees are not removed or substantially trimmed
• The planned system will be less than 10 kW capacity in a residential zone
• Property is not in a 'heritage conservation area'
If you are in a 'heritage conservation area', then
• The system must be located so that the solar panels are 'not attached to a wall or roof facing a primary road'
In all other instances, Council consent will be required.
• For clarification related to heritage please refer to Part 3, Division 4, Clause 39, Subclause 3 of the State Environmental Planning Policy (Infrastructure) 2007.
• For any clarification relating to tree clearing: North Sydney DCP 2013 Tree and Vegetation Management. Page 16/6 (P14)
If you are still unsure about planning issues related to installing solar AFTER you have read the above links, please ring Planning on 9936 8100
Further information: email the Sustainability Programs Coordinator, or call on 9936 8100.