Make the switch to buying sustainable products and services in your workplace. Here's a few suggestions on how:
- If you have a small business in the North Sydney Council area, join the Better Business Partnership program.
- Measure your workplace's environmental footprint at the EPA Victoria Ecological Footprint website - The footprint calculates your impact on the environment in terms of energy, water and vehicle use.
- Based on the size of your eco-footprint, draw up a plan with other staff on how you can reduce it. Start small so your targets are manageable.
- Ensure where possible that all equipment is energy-efficient rated.
- When purchasing electrical equipment, look for the lowest possible power ratings and timings for operating low power, sleep and off modes.
- For office equipment that uses paper, specify capacity for double-sided/duplex printing.
- Make the switch to Green Power for renewable energy.
- Buy tea and coffee from organisations such as Fair Trade.
- Purchase products where possible from recyclable materials such as PET plastic.
- Buy recycled hand towel and toilet paper.
- Choose water-based ink cartridges.
- Purchase equipment to allow you to teleconference or videoconference and reduce the need for road or air travel.
- Say no to plastic bags when purchasing supplies. Ask for cardboard boxes or paper bags instead.
- Use biodegradable cleaners, glues and solvents and choose maintenance companies who also use them.
- Before doing business with a company, check their environmental credentials.