Using less power and turning to other forms of renewable energy has never been easier. In this section we look at simple ways for businesses to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and the green power alternatives.
- If you have a small business in the North Sydney Council area, join the Better Business Partnership program.
- To reduce energy consumption in your commercial office, join the CitySwitch program.
- To improve the energy performance of your commercial building, check out Council's Environmental Upgrade Agreements program.
- Apply some of the same principals to saving energy in the office as you would at home.
- Conduct an energy audit and find out where you can save energy.
- Turn off lights whenever possible.
- Switch off standing or desk lights and other appliances at the wall when not in use.
- Use timers on lighting inside and outside the business, or install sensor lights for pathways etc.
- Use the lowest wattage globe wherever possible.
- Buy energy-efficient globes.
- Consider installing fluorescent globes in areas that are infrequently used, such as storerooms and garages. Fluorescent globes use approximately one fifth of the energy of normal light globes and last up to ten times longer.
- Keep lights and light fittings clean and free from dust. Dust build-up can reduce light output by up to 50%.
- Avoid down lights. Apart from using more energy, they also contribute to heat loss through the roof.
- Paint rooms in pale colours so they need fewer lights and consider installing skylights to let in more natural light.
- Join the Green Power program to access energy on the national electricity grid that comes from renewable energy sources such as wind, solar and thermal biomass. Just contact your electricity supplier if you want to join the scheme.