The aim of this program is to reduce both the cost of living and greenhouse gas (GHG) pollution.
Annual strata fee reduction is a major focus, because the savings potential with energy upgrades is typically a good investment. So analysis will be on the numerous opportunities in common areas.
Often people don't realise how much energy and money is being wasted in the hidden areas and equipment of buildings, so a report by specialists will clearly quantify that, and make recommendations for the owners corporation to follow up on.
Approving upgrades is easier than many people realise, if no more than 25% of the value of the votes cast at the meeting (in person or by proxy) are against the motion. (This is different from the common myth that 75% of all owners need to agree.)
When the options are clearly illustrated with a good report, the thinking becomes... why wouldn't we upgrade, given the financial benefits!
2019 Program Rollout
61 applications were received for 2019 building assessments and reports. This high level of interest perhaps reflects a strong desire to reduce operating costs and carbon emissions. Their case studies will be... coming soon!
31/1/2019 Applications closed
19/2/2019 Applicants notified of next steps
18/3/2019 Building assessments commence
The program offers - at no cost:
- Energy assessments performed by industry specialists.
- Detailed reports which will clearly illustrate the financial case for upgrades.
- Attendance at strata meetings if requested to help communicate benefits of building upgrades.
- General support.
- Workshops and information sessions for apartment residents.
The scheme offers sustainability assessments and reports on 30 residential apartment buildings, made up of 10 assessments for each of the following apartment sizes:
- 10 units or less
- 20 units or less
- 21 units or more
- (Mixed residential and commercial buildings will also be considered)
5 x NABERS assessments funded up to $1500.
10 x specific solar feasibility assessments.
7 x feasibility studies as required for special and complex opportunities such as renewable heat for space heating or centralised hot water system (HWS) fuel swapping, or complex solar opportunities.
Did you know?
- Most apartment buildings will benefit with efficiency upgrades in common areas.
- Around 75% of local residents live in apartments in North Sydney.
- Renewable heat and electricity can both replace imported grid gas and electricity.
- Renewable heat is perfect in shady areas, at night, or if cloudy, unlike solar electricity, and can provide space heating and domestic water heating.
Energy Cost savings
- Solar electricity - solar panels for rooftops.
- Renewable heat from the sun - for space heating and water heating.
- Energy efficiency - why waste energy?
- All-electric buildings offer the only path to zero emissions electricity and cost savings.
- Often upgrades offer investment opportunities with an internal rate of return (IRR) between 15-50%1, which will likely be one of the best investment returns you’ll ever make.
- Simple payback periods are commonly as short as 2 years.
1 Based on recent upgrades.
Smart Energy Future
Want to find the best ways to get renewable energy? Compare your own specific building and occupancy type - with the personal example info sheets here.
This program, will be reviewed by Council periodically until project completion on 30 June 2020.