Did you know...
Each day, businesses across Sydney use nearly 450 million litres of water. This amount is almost one-third of Sydney's total water use. Improving water efficiency can save your business money and will help conserve our most precious resource. Benefits to your business can include:
- Lower water bills.
- Reduced trade waste costs.
- Reduced water heating and appliance running costs.
- Improved company image.
Sydney Water has prepared factsheets and brochures to help you improve water efficiency in your business operations.
Download the factsheets from the Sydney Water website.
For more information on how North Sydney Council can help your small business save water, check out our Better Business Partnership.
For more information on how North Sydney Council can help your commercial building save water, check out our Environmental Upgrade Agreement program.
Ask your Plumber
A plumber can provide advice on appliances that use water more efficiently and also on components such as water-saving taps and flow restrictors. They can also estimate short and long term costs of water-efficient appliances.
Green Plumbing Tips
- Regularly replace washers and check for leaks.
- Install a heat pump or solar hot water system. Many electric hot water heaters can be retrofitted with solar panels. Rebates are available.
- Avoid cleaning grease traps or putting oils down the drain. Keep used oils and grease in a lidded container such as an empty paint tin and dispose of it in the next chemical clean-up collection. Call 1300 787 870 or check here for the next FREE chemical collection in our area.
- Shield drains from chemical spills or building material sediment.
- Avoid sweeping cigarette butts into drains.
- Consider installing waterless urinals.
- Consider installing a rainwater tank. Rainwater can be used to flush toilets and for irrigation. It can also be used to supplement the mains water supply, providing you have approval from Sydney Water.
- Install low-flow or lever taps.
- Insulate your water pipes. You'll get hot water faster plus avoid wasting water while it heats up.
- Choose an accredited green plumber for all maintenance work.