E-waste is not allowed in your usual weekly garbage collection.
Community Recycling Centre
You can take e-waste and other problem household waste to the Community Recycling Centre (in Artarmon).
Annual Clean Up
We have biannual e-waste pickups: Next e-waste Clean Up: 25-29 September
Please keep your e-waste separate when you put it out on the same day you place your garbage and recycling out for collection. Remember to delete personal documents and files from any e-waste.
We target equipment in the National Television and Computer Recycling Scheme
- televisions - plasma, Cathode Ray Tube (CRT), Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) and rear projection TVs
- computer equipment, peripherals and printers.
What about other Electronic and Electrical Appliances? Other small electrical appliances will be accepted for recycling but are not part of the scheme. Or take them to the CRC.
E-waste Drop Zones
E-waste can be disposed at one of these e-waste drop zones for free, in the North Sydney LGA, or nearby refer to the Drop Zones website (check first, services may change).
Belrose Resource Recovery (SITA): Crozier Road, Belrose, 1300 651 116
Domayne: 31-35 Epping Road, North Ryde, 9888 8888
Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre: Mona Vale Rd, Ingleside / Terrey Hills, 9486 3512
SITA Resource Recovery Centre: 145 Wicks Road, North Ryde, 1300 651 116
Storage King: 8 Frederick St, St Leonards, 9436 1233; 5 Lanceley Place, Artarmon, 9906 5005; www.ecoactiv.com.au/ewastebox
Officeworks: 37 Epping Road, North Ryde, 9878 9400, five items per person, computers & accessories only.
Other E-waste Clean Ups
With more than 150,000 tonnes of electronic waste going to landfill in Australia each year, here are some tips on how to manage technology in a sustainable way.
- Organise a workplace collection with other businesses to collect unwanted mobile phones for recycling.
- Donate computer equipment to charities with technology recycling services.
- Choose certified long-life technology, or models which can be upgraded and repaired.
- Buy laptops ahead of desk-based computers. Laptops need less energy to run.
- Similarly, purchase ink-jet printers ahead of laser printers; they use less ink.
- Power your website with renewable energy.
- Avoid purchasing computers with lead-based screens as these are very difficult to recycle. If in doubt, ask the supplier.
- Buy from technology companies such as Sims Group which offers an e-waste recycling service.
- Recycle - toner and ink cartridges from fax machines, printers and photocopiers.
Independent E-waste Recyclers
1800 392 783, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Service: recycle, refurbish and re-use
1300 201010, or email@example.com
Drop off/pick up: 11/175 Briens Rd, Northmead, 2152
1300 4 EWASTE (1300 4 39278)
Drop off at Wetherill Park (8am-4pm Mon-Fri)
Sims Recycling Solutions
1800 E RECYCLE (1800 373 2925)
1300 CLEAR IT (1300 253 2748)
Drop off at 82 Marple Ave, Villawood 2163
Fees apply. Call to discuss. Mon - Fri: 8am - 4pm
Cartridges: printers, photocopiers and fax cartridges may be dropped off at most Australia Post outlets, however it is best to make enquiries first for participating outlets. See Recycling Near You for more information.
Good Environmental Choice Australia (GECA) certifies and lists sustainable items to purchase.
Close the Loop recycle toner and inkjet cartridges, toner bottles as well as other print consumables.
Mobile Muster mobile phone recycling.
Reverse E-waste for govt or private partnership solution.
Charities Salvation Army: re-use (sold in Salvos stores), 13 16 40
Computer and TV Manufacturers
Contact the manufacturer and request they take the item back or ask for advice on how to responsibly dispose of it.
Apple Computers - Recycling
1300 321 456
Details from website: with a qualifying purchase, Apple will collect your old equipment and recycle for free.
DELL Computer Recycling
Service: recycling and refurbishing
1800 465 890, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Drop off /pick up: Will pick up DELL branded products from the north shore region free of charge.
Details: free recycling pickups for any Dell branded IT equipment via the website online form. For collection of all other brands please phone for information.
IBM Australia Ltd
Service: recycle, refurbish and re-use
1800 637 713, or email@example.com
Fees apply for some items
Details: takes all brands of IT equipment.
Phone: 1300 13 SONY (7669) Mon-Fri, 8am to 6pm
13 30 70