There is a 'tricky items' recycling station in the Genia McCaffery Centre for Sustainability. It's for those special items that can't go in your normal recycling bin but can be reused or recycled.
Items taken change depending on the intake of recycling partners so please check back to this page before coming down.
Currently, the centre is taking the following:
- light globes
- small electrical items/mobile phones
- ink cartridges
- rubber bands
Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm
Saturday, 10am to 4pm
Please do not leave items outside as they can pose a risk to wildlife.
Items that are no longer taken at The Coal Loader
- Corks: the Coal Loader's re-use partner, Reverse Garbage, has stopped collecting corks in bulk for the time being. They continue to take small numbers of corks and thousands of other items from individuals and companies at their Marrickville base.
- Bottle tops: Council's official recycler, VISY, recommend that bottle tops remain on the un-crushed bottle before putting them in your recycling bin.
- Advertising magnets: the thin promotional magnets your receive in your letterbox are not recyclable curbside. If you receive one please contact the company to ask them to discontinue their use. Together we can eliminate this waste! For more useful tips visit Clean Up.
- Bread tags: after two great years, our young volunteer champion has now finished collecting for charity. Many companies are making the switch to cardboard tags however if you do end up with plastic bread tags they can be sent to Aussie Bread Tags for Wheelchairs or The Brea Tag Project.
Do you have a suggestion for an unusual collection we can assist your charity, school, or art project with?