Private Certifier Information

Who are Private Accredited Certifiers?

Accredited private certifiers are able accredited professionals who check that development proposals comply with required technical standards and regulations and issue the relevant certificates under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (EP&A). Previously only local councils had this responsibility.

Certifiers need to be accredited under schemes managed by authorised accreditation bodies approved by the Minister of the NSW Dept of Planning and Environment (DPE).


What are the powers of Private Accredited Certifiers?

Depending upon the terms of their accreditation, certifiers can:

  • issue Subdivision Certificates;
  • issue Construction Certificates, certifying (among other things) compliance with the Building Code of Australia (BCA);
  • issue Compliance Certificates specifying that conditions of consent have been satisfied or that work complies with the plan and specification, or nominating the classification of a building under the BCA;
  • issue Complying Development Certificates, certifying that nominated development proposals comply with standards and criteria in Council's Local Environmental Plans and Development Control Plans; and
  • act as a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA), responsible for, among other things, issuing occupation certificates specifying that buildings are safe to occupy and subdivision certificates specifying a subdivision can proceed to registration where the Council LEP permits private sector involvement.


What is the Accreditation Process?

To be accredited, the certifier must demonstrate his/her qualifications and experience, agree to abide by the scheme's code of conduct and complaints handling mechanisms, undertake continuing professional development, and provide evidence of his/her public liability insurance.

The accreditation shows:

  • the extent of a certifier's powers;
  • the types of certificate that can be issued; and
  • the ability of the certifier to operate as a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) for a building or subdivision work.
  • when accredited, a certifier is given a unique number by the Department of Planning, which is used on all documents to identify the certifier. A certifier must be re-accredited each year.
  • accreditation schemes and bodies.


Submission of Privately Certified Documents to Council - Legislative Requirement

All Complying Development Certificates (CDC) and Post-Consent Certificates issued by a Private Certifier must be submitted to Council via the NSW Planning Portal. Lodgement fees are payable, to cover registration and record keeping of documents.


Fees for Submission

Please refer to Council  Fees and Charges for applicable fees or alternatively, contact Customer Service on 9936 8100.


Phone Advice on BCA & Act and Regulation Advisory Line


  • Verbal advice from DPE can be obtained on their BCA Advisory Service on 02 9372 9271 (Tue-Thur 9.30-11.30am).
  • Verbal advice from DPE on Parts 4 and 4A of the EP&A Act and associated parts of EP&A Regulation on 1300 305 695.

Related Links