A vibrant, maritime precinct...
The Careening Cove precinct straddles the suburbs of North Sydney and Kirribilli.
The precinct is a charming, predominantly residential area with waterfront heritage and well used public open spaces. It supports the Sydney Flying Squadron, Pattons Slipway and Ensemble Theatre.
With the redevelopment of the former HMAS Platypus site complete, the precinct is a regional destination.
It was recognised that greater engagement with the community is needed to develop a vision for the area and to identify future projects that may enhance people’s enjoyment of Careening Cove, hence this study:
Careening Cove Planning Study (12MB)
The community and local business owners provided many ideas that informed this Study.
It was agreed that Careening Cove should be a vibrant, creative and high amenity area that embraces its unique location and maritime heritage.
Key recommendations are:
- Make sure it is easy for people to explore the precinct by upgrading footpaths and stairs and installing wayfinding signage;
- improve public access and enjoyment of the Sydney Harbour foreshore by upgrading the Milsons Park boat ramp & seawall and work on long-term opportunities to install a public boardwalk along the Cove;
- improve the amenity of existing public open spaces by installing well located BBQ facilities at Milsons Park and Kesterton Park and minor landscaping at Gladys Carey Reserve;
- encourage a diverse mix of activity throughout the precinct, particularly along the waterfront with more outdoor dining and creative industries, whilst supporting the traditional working waterfront industries;
- continue to support working waterfront activities as well as recreational and school-related boating uses in Careening Cove; and
- work with Sydney Water to explore the possibility of transforming the stormwater canal along Milsons Park into a more natural creek line and incorporating suitable crossing points.
Enquiries on the draft Careening Cove Planning Study may be directed to Emma Booth (Strategic Planner - Urban Design) on 9936 8100.
Back to Listing