North Sydney is a vibrant community with a major commercial centre surrounded by villages and neighbourhoods.
We celebrate community harmony, respect and diversity.
Our residents, workers and students are proud to belong and we welcome those who visit and enjoy the area.
Translation of non-English languages
If you do not understand this information, please ring the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50, and ask for an interpreter in your language to contact North Sydney Council on (02) 9936 8100. This is a free service.
English Conversation Classes
For English conversation classes, refer to the Migrant Quick Reference Guide below in your language.
Community groups offering English conversation classes in the North Sydney area include:
1. Sydney Multicultural Services – Phone: 9955 3952
2. The Crows Nest Centre – Phone: 9438 5122
3. St Thomas Church ESL – Phone: 8908 4800
4. St Peter’s Presbyterian Church, North Sydney – Contact Betty - Phone/Text: 0421 436 476, Email: email@example.com
5. The Chinese Christian Church – Phone: 9955 2800
Migrant Quick Reference Guide
Migrant Quick Reference Guide - English (732KB)
Migrant Quick Reference Guide - Chinese (1MB)
Migrant Quick Reference Guide - Japanese (1MB)
Migrant Quick Reference Guide - Spanish (940KB)
Migrant Quick Reference Guide - Korean (1MB)
Migrant Quick Reference Guide - Farsi (1012KB)
Translated Government Information
Links to Australian Government information pages in a range of languages:
- Adult Migrant English Service (AMES) - provides a range of English language courses for newly arrived migrants.
- Centrelink - information on pensions, employment, parents/guardians, disability and more.
- Office of Fair Trading- covers topics such as buying a car, renting, credit cards, working from home and more.
- Department of Education (NSW) - useful documents for parents and caregivers, translated into over 40 languages.
- Aging Disability and Home Care (NSW) - ADHC publications in your language.
- My Aged Care (Federal) - Government information in different languages.
- Federal Department of Health - Government information about health in different languages.
- Legal Aid (NSW) - legal information in a range of languages.
- State Library of NSW - information about public libraries in New South Wales.
- Australian Taxation Office - Tax information in Arabic, Chinese, Croatian, Farsi, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Macedonian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Turkish and Vietnamese.
For more information please see the Multiculturalism page on this website.