An Environmental Upgrade Agreement (EUA) is a smarter way to finance your building upgrade. Using private finance to upgrade non-strata commercial buildings there are many benefits...
The savings pay for the upgrades...
Building upgrades can deliver significant savings that can be used to repay the upgrade finance.
Owners and tenants share the benefits...
Owners and tenants can both gain from maximising a building’s energy efficiency. An EUA allows owners and tenants to share these benefits. On average, tenants contribute 50% of the cost of an EUA-funded project.
A longer loan term...
An EUA is secured finance so it can be locked in for a longer term, up to 15 years. This increases the likelihood that the savings generated will be greater than the EUA repayments and better match the life of the upgraded equipment.
The EUA is attached to the land...
EUA finance is attached to the land. If the land is sold, the EUA may be transferred to the new owners, or discharged on settlement.
Eligible works include those that focus on:
- energy and water efficiency
- renewable energy
- reducing greenhouse gas emissions
- preventing or reducing pollution
- reducing the use of materials
- recovery or recycling of materials
- monitoring environmental performance
- encouraging alternatives to car travel, such as walking and cycling
How do the agreements work?
The agreement is voluntary and is between the building owner, a financial institution and North Sydney Council. Loan repayments are collected by North Sydney Council through the rates payment system. The loan is levied as a special charge on the land (an Environmental Upgrade Charge) and paid to the financial institution within 7 days.
Who can enter into an EUA?
North Sydney Council currently will enter into a EUA if:
- the building is an existing non-residential building that is not strata titled located within the North Sydney local government area;
- the building owner has an Australian business address or uses an Australian agent;
- the building owner seeks to carry out environmental upgrade works to a building - subject to satisfying Development Application requirements;
- the building owner(s) and/or existing buildings do not have outstanding rates payable.
Contact Council’s Sustainable Business Coordinator on 9936 8100, or
EUA Coordinator at the Office of Environment and Heritage on 1300 361 967
If you have EUA questions related to a DA then please speak to our free DA Advisory Service.
EUA - launch event
EUA - is it a special loan?
10 Valentine Avenue, Parramatta (pdf)
Other NSW Councils that offer an EUA
City of Sydney - contact email@example.com or 02 9246 7843
Parramatta City Council - contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 9806 5733
NSW State Gov program which helps participating companies improve their environmental and business performance by developing a sustainability action plan.
NSW State Gov program which provides subsidised energy audits and facilitation to eligible NSW businesses to help identify and implement energy savings.
NSW Energy Savings Scheme (ESS)
Additional funding for energy saving upgrades can be accessed through the creation and sale of Energy Savings Certificates, so under the ESS building owners or energy efficiency service providers can create and sell certificates to offset the capital costs of projects.
is a national tenant energy efficiency program that works with commercial office tenants to address their carbon impact by improving energy efficiency.