As part of the Plan of Management/Masterplan for Anderson Park the Sportsfield is CLOSED for reconstruction from September 2022 through till March 2023.
Reconstruction works include:
The Masterplan requires the Sportsfield to be relocated further West towards the Amenities block. This will then require the lighting to be moved as well. The new lighting design will include 2 LED luminaires sitting a top of each 15 meter pole of which there are four (4). The Luminaires are tilted downwards to further enhance the light penetration onto the playing field and further reduce light spill.
This will include the relocation of the sportsfield and the construction of a new irrigation system, sub surface drainage, imported soil, surface levelling and new turf.
North Sydney Council Project Manager David Manson can be reached on 9936 8100 if you have any questions.
One of North Sydney's major sporting venues. Located on the foreshores of Neutral Bay, the Park is fringed by magnificent fig trees and has excellent harbour views.
Located in Clark Road, Neutral Bay, Anderson Park is a 10-minute walk from North Sydney railway station. Numerous buses run along Clark and Kurraba Roads, and limited on-street parking is available.
- The floodlit sports field caters for cricket, soccer and various football codes, as well as for touch, volleyball, training and school sport and carnivals.
- There are 2 synthetic cricket wickets, male and female toilets and a change room.
- Other features include pathways, sandstone flagging, a depression-era concrete wall, lighting, a bubbler, numerous seats and a small beach.
- Hill's Weeping Figs create a magnificent shelterbelt along the park boundary.
- There is a custom-designed playground across the road in Warringa Park.
- Dogs are welcome in Anderson Park, however they are not permitted on the sportsfield when organised sport is being played.
Anderson Park was created following reclamation of the head of Neutral Bay during the 1890's. Originally known as Warringa Park, the bulk of Anderson Park was dedicated on 8 October 1898. The Park was renamed in 1926 to honour William Anderson, a long-serving alderman on the Council and Mayor from 1914 to 1918.
In July 1934 Air Commodore Charles Kingsford-Smith and Captain P. Gordon Taylor took off from Anderson Park on a promotional flight over Sydney to Mascot in a Lockheed Altair single-engined plane; then the world's fastest plane.