One of North Sydney's most significant areas of urban bushland. Situated on the foreshore of Sydney Harbour, this popular picnic spot combines natural beauty with spectacular views.
Located at the southern end of Balls Head Drive, Waverton, Balls Head Reserve is an easy 10 minute walk from Waverton railway station. There is car parking in the Reserve and on Balls Head Road.
- Several bush walking tracks, including one suitable for wheelchairs.
- Accessible toilets, picnic tables, seats and electric barbecues.
- Numerous plaques and depression era elements including remnants of paths, steps and railings dot the Reserve. Other features include an Aboriginal waterhole and foreshore caves and chambers cut by squatters in the 1930s.
- The Balls Head Bushcare Group carries out bush regeneration in the Reserve.
- Dogs are welcome in Balls Head Reserve however they must be kept on a leash.
Until 1916, the Balls Head area was frequented by the local Aboriginal community and sites including middens, art sites and rock engravings remain today. The Aboriginal name for Balls Head is Yerroulbine.
The Reserve is named after Lieutenant Henry Lidgbird Ball, Commander of the ship Supply in the First Fleet of 1788. Balls Head was the original foreshore land included in the large Wollstonecraft Estate. In 1912 the Australian Army claimed the land and a Quarantine Depot was established in Berrys Bay to service the boats operating to and from the Quarantine station at North Head.
Strong public protests in the early part of the 20th century resulted in Balls Head becoming public parkland (rather than being used for commercial or residential purposes as was mooted) in 1926.