In 2010 it is Council's newest large public open space. This former industrial site is now a magnificent harbourside park characterised by dramatic sandstone cliffs, the result of removing the oil and petrol storage tanks that previously occupied the site.
Located in Larkin Street, Waverton, Carradah Park is an easy 10 minute walk from Waverton railway station. Limited on-street parking is available in the surrounding streets.
- Numerous pathways and stairs, and lookout platforms at key viewing points.
- Water quality control ponds with associated wetland and frog habitat areas.
- Many items of industrial heritage have been retained, and signs interpret the Aboriginal and European history of the area.
- Extensive planting of native species supplements the existing bushland along the Berry's Bay foreshore.
- The Park connects to other parklands on the Waverton Peninsula including Balls Head Reserve and the ex-Coal Loader/Caltex site.
Carradah Park is named after the Cammeraygal man, Carradah, who befriended Lieutenant Lidgbird Ball, after whom nearby Balls Head was named in the 1790s. The Aboriginal man reportedly adopted Ball's surname as a sign of respect. He was one of the few Cammeraygal people specifically named in the early colonial accounts.
Although no known sites remain, this area would have been used by Aboriginals from the Cammeraygal tribe. The first recorded occupation of the area by Europeans was in 1825 when Edward Wollstonecraft acquired a grant of 524 acres of land. The site was leased to the Anglo-Persian Oil Company Ltd (the predecessor of BP) in 1920, and the first storage tank was built around 1923. The terminal was reduced to minimum operation in 1993, and the fuel storage infrastructure was demolished in 1996.
In 1997 the then Premier Bob Carr announced that this site, together with the Coal Loader and Caltex Sites on the western side of the Waverton peninsula would be preserved as Public Open Space. A Strategic Master Plan for the sites was completed in 1999, and construction of the newly-designed park lands was completed in 2005.