A delightful harbourside park backed by vertical sandstone cliffs and featuring spectacular harbour views. Although something of a hidden gem, the Park has a ferry wharf and a fully-fenced children's playground that make it very popular.
Located at the southern end of High Street, North Sydney, Kesterton Park is within walking distance of North Sydney railway station, or visitors may park in High Street. High Street ferry wharf connects the Park to Circular Quay and other northern harbour locations.
- There are toilets seats, picnic tables, a bubbler, a covered shelter with seats and a table and a custom-designed, fully-fenced playground featuring a large cable climber.
- Mature Eucalypts along the cliff base provide some shade, and Figs cling to the sandstone escarpment.
- Dogs are welcome in Kesterton Park however they are not permitted within 10m of the playground.
The land on which Kesterton Park stands was originally part of the Whaling allotment, taken up by Kemmis and Brown in 1830. The land was acquired by Patrick Hayes in the 1870s and became a quarry from which sandstone was removed. The land was later acquired by Council and converted to public open space.
The Park is named for Alderman W. Kesterton who was Mayor of North Sydney 1945-1949 and a pharmacist in Military Road. He retired in 1967 and died in 1985.
- Equipment includes swings, see-saw and a pyramid cable climber.
- Shelter structure contains seats and a table.
- Trees against the embankment provide some shade.
- Park is located on the harbour foreshore and has a ferry wharf and excellent harbour views.
Tucked at the base of a magnificent sandstone cliff face, and with views across Sydney Harbour, this delightful harbourside playground will appeal to both children and adults. The custom designed cable structures are packed with a range of activities and are particularly appropriate in this foreshore location as they are visually unobtrusive and 'light' on the ground. Together with the stunning outlook, picnic shelters, toilets and a fully fenced play area make Kesterton Park Playground a great destination.