One of North Sydney's largest and best-loved parks. It has a distinctive Victorian landscape character and is rich in history and heritage. The Park is a great place to play, relax and socialise, and it contains our premier sportsground, North Sydney Oval.
St Leonards Park is on Miller Street, North Sydney. Buses run regularly along Miller Street, or the Park is a 15 minute walk up Miller Street from North Sydney railway station. Limited parking is available in the surrounding streets.
- Sports facilities include North Sydney Oval (and associated grandstands, lighting, changing rooms, toilets etc), the Bon Andrews Oval (and associated Cunningham Pavilion), netball courts, cricket nets, a cricket wicket, bowling greens and a clubhouse.
- The North Sydney Oval complex includes commercial/retail outlets, a childcare centre, a function centre and a Council depot.
- Other park features include the War Memorial and Tunks Fountain and the Music Shell.
- A custom-design playground features many accessible items and activities.
- Public toilets, shelters, lights, seats, picnic tables, barbecues, a bubbler, and paved pedestrian paths.
- Open lawn areas dotted with specimen trees and formal avenue plantings.
- Dogs are welcome in St Leonards Park however they are not permitted on North Sydney Oval, the Bon Andrews Oval or within 10m of the playground or barbecues.
Originally known as The Reserve, 40 acres of public park was dedicated in 1876 by Alderman Tunks to serve as the centerpiece for the developing urban area. By 1874 the park was fenced, ornamental trees were planted and two streets that ran through the Park were closed. The first pavilion for spectators at North Sydney Oval was built in 1879.
- Playground features landscaping and pathway activities including snakes and ladders.
- Incorporates many accessible activities including arm-operated swings and a roundabout.
- Features a music area with a range of working instruments.
- Playground is surrounded by 1930s style concrete walling.
- Shelter structure and BBQ's are located close to the Playground.
- Heritage plantings in the park include fig and palm avenues.
Set beneath the branches of mature Fig trees and surrounded by heritage masonry walling, this unique regional facility caters to children of all ages and abilities. A large landscaped sandpit has diggers and conveyor belts for the construction-minded, while an array of instruments in the 'music room' tempt more musical children. A rubber pathway incorporating a colourful over-sized 'Snakes and Ladders' game meanders through the play space connecting the swings, the junior structure, the senior structures and the central roundabout. With barbecues and toilets nearby this is a great venue for a longer visit.