One of Council's largest public open spaces, this former industrial site is now a magnificent harbourside park. Dramatic sandstone cliffs, the result of removing the oil and petrol storage tanks that previously occupied the site, drop down to signposted level areas.
Located in Larkin Street, Waverton, Carradah Park is an easy 10 minute walk from Waverton railway station. Limited on-street parking is available in the surrounding streets.
- Numerous pathways and stairs, and lookout platforms at key viewing points.
- Water quality control ponds with associated wetland and frog habitat areas.
- Many items of industrial heritage have been retained, and signs interpret the Aboriginal and European history of the area.
- Extensive planting of native species supplements the existing bushland along the Berry's Bay foreshore.
- The Park connects to other parklands on the Waverton Peninsula including Balls Head Reserve and the ex-Coal Loader/Caltex site.
Carradah Park is named after the Cammeraygal man, Carradah, who befriended Lieutenant Lidgbird Ball, after whom nearby Balls Head was named in the 1790s. The Aboriginal man reportedly adopted Ball's surname as a sign of respect. He was one of the few Cammeraygal people specifically named in the early colonial accounts.
Although no known sites remain, this area would have been used by Aboriginals from the Cammeraygal tribe. The first recorded occupation of the area by Europeans was in 1825 when Edward Wollstonecraft acquired a grant of 524 acres of land. The site was leased to the Anglo-Persian Oil Company Ltd (the predecessor of BP) in 1920, and the first storage tank was built around 1923. The terminal was reduced to minimum operation in 1993, and the fuel storage infrastructure was demolished in 1996.
In 1997 the then Premier Bob Carr announced that this site, together with the Coal Loader and Caltex Sites on the western side of the Waverton peninsula would be preserved as Public Open Space. An ongoing Strategic Master Plan was put in place, and construction of the newly-designed parklands was completed in 2005.
Signposting and Walking
The rich heritage of the Berry's Bay foreshore is now celebrated in a series of signs installed in 2007 in Carradah Park (the former BP site).
The interpretive signs unravel the many layers of history of the site, once a popular camping and fishing area for the Cammeraygal Aboriginal peoples, through to its development for a range of industrial uses, to the remediation and rehabilitation of the site into the spectacular new harbourside recreational area we have today.
The signs include a large diagram that details the layout of the 32 tanks that were a feature of the former BP oil terminal. A series of smaller marker signs also explain particular features of the site, such as the many remnants of industrial heritage.
Directional signs including maps of the site are located to guide park users around the pathways in the park and to nearby open space areas.
The site itself is part of the North Sydney Circle Walk (Waverton to Wollstonecraft).
For these and other walks refer to our page on Walking.
Why not spend a day on the peninsula and enjoy the parkland on the former BP site, the beautiful Balls Head bushland area and some of the adjacent walks on nearby Berry Island.
Carradah Park signage was jointly funded by Council and the Metropolitan Greenspace Grant Program (2007).
For further information please contact North Sydney Council on 9936 8100.