*** NOTICE ***
These sprays are done at night and/or early morning to avoid and/or minimise public presence.
Signs will be displayed.
Weather may affect these dates, signs at the Council site/s will confirm.
Spray applications between the dates of 30 June - 30 July for Bon Andrews Oval.
Products being used are : Heritage Maxx fungicide (95 g/L Azoxystrobin)
Ground will be irrigated to water product into soil and re-entry period is when treated area is dried.
Product being applied : Intercept 480 SL (480 g/L Ethephon)
Primo Maxx ( 120g/L Trinexapac-ethyl)
MP Brilliance ( Liquid Nitrogen fertiliser)
Spray will be done within the next 4 weeks ( 30th June - 30th July )
Re-entry period is when treated area is dry
*** END of NOTICE ***
One of Council's largest parks. Extending from the foreshore of Long Bay west under the Cammeray Suspension Bridge to Flat Rock Gully Reserve, the Park is characterised by playing fields bordered by large sweeps of bushland and a lively foreshore area.
Located in Brothers Avenue, Cammeray, Tunks Park is accessible by bus, or there is car parking (including trailer parking).
- The sportsfields cater for cricket, football and soccer, as well as for training and school sport and carnivals.
- Toilets, change rooms, seats, picnic tables, a bubbler, exercise equipment and a timber custom-designed playground with a 'tree house' theme.
- The boat ramp at Tunks Park is our main boat facility with associated car and trailer parking, and plenty of room to manoeuvre.
- Informal walking tracks through the bushland.
- The century-old suspension bridge and the overhead sewerage viaduct are major visual elements.
- Two Bushcare Groups carry out bush regeneration in the Park.
Tunks Park East, Cammeray
Tunks Park West, Cammeray
- Dogs are welcome in Tunks Park however they are not permitted on the sportsfields when organised sport is being played or within 10m of the playground. They must be kept on a leash in bushland areas.
Shell middens and rock art present in the area indicate that Aboriginals frequented the area, using the creek as a source of fresh water.
The Park was named after William Tunks, the first Mayor of St Leonards from 1867 until 1883. The sportsfields were created in the 1950s when the natural creek line and extensive estuarine mudflats at the head of Long Bay were reclaimed. The adjacent bushland that remains today is relatively unchanged.
- Playground designed to complement its bushland setting in terms of materials, colours and activities.
- Many accessible play activities.
- Toilets are located near the sports fields.
Tunks Park Playground sits comfortably against its backdrop of dense natural bushland. It has two main play areas separated by a small water-play area with elevated artificial creek. The focal point of the senior area is a 'tree house', allowing children to experience the fun of this once common backyard play item. Other activities in Tunks Park playground include a seesaw, a spring-mounted deck and a large 'gravel pit' with manual excavators and block and tackle operated winch, with the latter accessible to wheelchair users via a large curved access ramp. The opposite end of the play area features a bank of 4 swings and a junior play area.
Originally Upgraded 1996 the Playground underwent expansion and refurbishment in 2012.