All new detached and single attached houses are required to reduce water and energy consumption under the Building Sustainability Index scheme (BASIX).
A BASIX Certificate is only required where the works require a development application (DA).
It may also be needed for the following alterations and additions to existing dwellings:
- extensions or modifications to living areas or wet areas
- modification to the fabric of a building
- new pools and outdoor spas
- new hot water systems and air conditioner (AC) units.
The BASIX requirements do not apply to:
- new garages/carports
- new outdoor/open structures
- pergolas/verandahs/awnings where they are the only thing being constructed.
To learn more visit the NSW Government website.