North Sydney Council believes that all children and young people have a right to be heard and is committed to the journey of being a child safe organisation.
Council's Child Safe Framework
North Sydney Council's Child Safe Policy is designed to ensure that Council complies with the requirements of the legislative framework, and acknowledges the following key responsibilities:
- reporting of suspected child abuse and neglect of children
- protection of young people from sexual, physical, and emotional abuse and neglect
- ensuring identified "prohibited persons" are not employed where the nature of their work brings them into contact with children
- providing training to staff in the identification of suspected child abuse and procedures involved
- notifying the relevant authority of any allegations of child abuse against a Council employee and give written notice within 7 days to parent or guardian
- working with other agencies within agreed guidelines to plan and provide services for child protection and family support.
Making a complaint
North Sydney Council takes complaints and allegations involving children and young people seriously.
For a concern or complaint involving a Council staff member or representative where the safety or protection of children or young people (under 18 years) may have been compromised:
- make a complaint directly to the service involved or via Council’s complaints process.
Under the Children's Guardian Act 2019, Council is required to report any allegations against Council staff within seven days.
For a concern or complaint not involving a Council staff member or representative where the safety or protection of children or young people (under 18 years) may have been compromised:
- call the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111 and follow the advice given.
The Department of Communities and Justice (DCI) are required by law to make an assessment to determine whether the child or young person is at risk of significant harm.
For a list of child safety support services, visit the Child Protection Directory.