Justice of the Peace services

What a Justice of the Peace can do for you

A Justice of the Peace can:

  • witness statutory declarations
  • witness an affidavit
  • certify true copies of original documents
  • witness a statutory declaration under the NSW Oaths Act 1900, an Australian affidavit, or a Commonwealth of Australia statutory declaration
    • for NSW statutory declarations, bring photographic identification with you.
  • witness signatures on legal documents, and administer oaths as authorised by a NSW legislation
    • if your document does not indicate the relevant NSW Act or Regulation authorising the JP to witness your signature, then find out the details from the issuing body or your legal professional. If the NSW Act or Regulation cannot be identified, the JP will not be able to witness the document for you.

A NSW JP can witness interstate documents where this is permitted by the law of the other State or Territory.

  • Bring the original document and provide photocopies for certification. Electronically issued documents can only be certified where they are downloaded and printed from the issuing website in front of the JP. You may wish to bring your own electronic device or use one of the library or Council computers.

A NSW JP can certify copies of original documents from overseas.

A NSW JP cannot witness the execution of international documents for use overseas. Instead, find and contact a Notary using this locator.

A NSW JP cannot witness or certify any of the following documents:

  • Enduring Powers of Attorney
  • Proof of Life forms
  • Queensland Land Title documents
  • Laminated Citizenship Certificates.
Coal loader sunset

Upcoming events

We run a wide variety of free community events, talks and programs across North Sydney.

See what's on