Dogs are prohibited in the following public places:
- within 10 metres of children's play equipment/playgrounds
- food preparation and consumption areas
- recreation areas where dogs are declared prohibited
- public bathing areas where dogs are declared prohibited
- school grounds, unless with the permission of the person controlling the grounds
- child-care centres, unless with the permission of the person controlling the centre
- and shopping areas, unless secured in a vehicle, going to or from a vet or pet shop, or with the permission of the person controlling the centre.
All dogs in public places must be under the control of a competent person. Council is required by the State Government to enforce all laws concerning dogs. Rangers may issue on-the-spot fines for infringements of the regulations.
For more information, refer to the Companion Animals Act 1998 - Section 14.