Sunday 29 October, 10am to 4pm
The North Sydney Living Futures Sustainability Festival will be an event not to be missed! This is a day not only for inspiration and information but for entertainment, fun, networking and socialising.
Stage entertainment, workshops, stalls, kids' activities, guided walks and tours are just a few of the things that will be on offer for a great day out at one of Sydney's most iconic harbourside sites. Be sure to meet our amazing festival ambassadors; TV favourite Costa Georgiadis and Indigenous educator and performer Charleen Aguiar Dos Santos.
Join us at the main stage on The Platform for a jam-packed day of music, mini-talks and cooking demos!
As well as expert advice from all of our stallholders, and mini-talks on the main stage, there will also be a series of talks in Tunnel One:
- 10.30 to 11am: Food Dehydration for Kids
- 11.05am to 11.30am The All-Electric Home
- 11.40am to 12.10am Pathways for Futureproofing Apartments
- 12.15pm to 12.45pm: Top 5 Ways to Reach Net-Zero
- 12.50pm to 1.20pm: Trashion Talk and Button Mending
Visit the Eco Kids stage on the lower lawn for a fun day of music, plays, wildlife encounters and more!
There will be plays from The Kings and Queens of Green, bubble play and eco face-painting from Little Feet, Storytime from Stanton Library, discover sessions from Live Reptile Displays, art from The Sydney Seahorse Project, a box city to help create with Reverse Garbage, a scavenger hunt, and maybe even a drop in from everyone's favourite gnome, Costa! Plus there's kid-friendly (and planet-friendly) food and a solar-powered ice cream truck!
Join us on The Platform to learn about the following topics
- 11 to 11.30: Worm farming
- 1:30 to 2:30: Community gardening (tours leave from the top of The Platform ramp)
- 2 to 2.30: Composting
Take part in one of our photography workshops. Meet at The Platform near the community centre's stall.
There are a range of free swapping activities all day long!
- 10am to 11:30am: Kids Clothes Swap - Update your kid's wardrobe for free! Bookings advised (located at Tunnel One)
- 10am to 4pm: Salon de Refuse - Save, donate, and adopt art! Bring your old works along to swap or browse the collection to take home something new... FOR FREE! No bookings required (located at The Workshop)
- 10am to 4pm: Free Book Swap - Bring along some books to swap or re-home a new book for free! No bookings required (located at The Genia McCaffery Centre)
- 1.20pm to 3.30pm: Family Clothes Swap - Upgrade your wardrobe for free! Bookings advised (located at Tunnel One)
Free bike tune-ups: In collaboration with Council, Pedal Set Go will be offering free bike tune-up sessions. Drop-in appointments are available 10am to 4pm. Located on Balls Head Drive at the entrance to The Coal Loader.
Learn more about The Coal Loader's newest addition: The Fix-It Hub and book your spot for this monthly program
Sydney Textile Repair will be on hand to mend all textile items including clothes, stuffed toys and more!
All tours leave from the top of The Platform ramp. Look for the sign and flag
- 11am: History Tour of The Coal Loader - Explore the industrial origins of The Coal Loader and its fossil-fuelled history
- 11:30am: Indigenous Heritage Tour - Learn about Indigenous culture and heritage in and around The Coal Loader
- 1.30pm to 2.30pm: Tour the Coal Loader Gardens - Meet the volunteers, ask gardening questions, find out more about joining your local gardening group
- 10.30am, 1 pm and 3pm: Bushcare Tour or Balls Head - Join the Bushcare team to explore the native flora and fauna of Balls Head
Head to The Sydney Library of Things in the workshop to sign up to this popular program. Why buy when you can borrow?
Visit the Stanton Library Discovery Collection on The Platform to peruse their free borrowing collection
There will be a variety of planet-friendly food vendors plus ice cream and coffee, all using renewable power and reusable plates and cups!
Electric Vehicle Display: Get up close and personal with multiple types and brands of electric cars. EV experts and owners from The Australian Electric Vehicle Association NSW will be on hand to answer any questions you have on the day as they share their first-hand experience of owning and driving EVs. No bookings required. The Platform 10am to 4pm.
E-bike demo: This is your chance to ride an e-bike and try before you buy! Lug & Carrie will be providing a variety of e-bikes on the day. No bookings required. Located on the north side of The Platform.
Bike: Cycling to the event? We've got you covered with bike valet parking... it's like a coat check for bikes. We’ll give you a ticket when you drop off your bike, you get to enjoy the festival, stress-free! Located on Balls Head Drive at the entrance to The Coal Loader.
Bike hire:Lime will have bikes to borrow on the day to get you to/from the event. Looking to rent one to get you and your new swaps home? Head to the pick-up point on Waterhen Drive.
Train: Waverton train station is an easy 8-min walk away! Plan your trip here.
Bus: There are several bus stops in Waverton. Plan your trip here.
Share Car: Taking an Uber to the event? Scroll down in the app for the Uber Green option, a more sustainable way to travel by car. Pick-ups and drop-offs happen on Waterhen Drive.
Drive: Parking is limited so try and leave the car at home. For those who need to drive, there are free parking spaces between Waverton station and the venue and limited ambulant spaces directly opposite the main entry on Balls Head Drive
Check back to this page as more details are announced.
Keep up-to-date and find out more by visiting the Facebook page