Due Completion: 01 January 2021
Upgrades to the iconic North Sydney Oval commenced November 2015.
In 2016, the historic oval received a portable drop-in cricket wicket, new irrigation lines and improved lighting.
The new lighting system allows day-night games to be played at the Oval.
Designed for dual-purpose venues, the drop-in cricket wicket is prepared off the ground and then transported back into position for use - allowing for a better playing field. This technology enables the wicket to be produced in a controlled environment. North Sydney Oval first trialled the technology in 1998, when cricket wicket technology was in its early stages. Since then, the technology has improved substantially and is used by many premier sporting stadiums including ANZ Stadium (Sydney), Colonial Stadium (Melbourne) and the MCG.
In 2018 the historic Duncan Thompson Stand has new changing and medical rooms and anti-doping facilities that meet international standards. Plus CCTV in line with first grade sporting regulations to ensure the facility is suitable for all types of sport, local or international.
St Leonards Park cricket practice nets upgraded in Dec 2019.
North Sydney Mayor Jilly Gibson said the upgrades will further enhance the oval as a major and sustainable venue. She said:
These improvements are pivotal in promoting North Sydney Oval as an international sportsfield and event location. The upgrade will not only improve the playing surface of the Oval, but will ensure the stadium has the technology and capabilities required to host a wide range of events.
By 2020 upgrades included:
- bar, kiosk and merchandising facility improvements
- upgrading of player and officials change rooms and establishment of medical rooms and press facilities
- improvements to corporate facilities and Duncan Thompson Stand restoration/refurbishment
- steel drainpipe and structural remediation work for McCartney, O'Reilly, Mollie Dive and Bob stands
- CCTV system installed
- refurbishment of media broadcasting facilities
- outdoor video screen
- improvements to the public announcement system
- review of seating requirements – new grandstand seating
- outdoor video screen installation.
Back to Listing