North Sydney Traffic & Parking Strategy
The North Sydney Community Strategic Plan states that for a reliable, accessible and sustainable transport system, we will:
- Promote equity of access to public and community transport.
- Incorporate true environmental and social costs in our transport planning.
- Pursue improvement and expansion of sustainable transport options.
- Encourage the use of alternative modes of transport to the private car.
Some of the stated aims with regard to transport include:
- The impact of the private car on our community and environment is dramatically reduced.
- The frequency, quality and diversity of public transport throughout North Sydney is increased.
- Pedestrians and cyclists enjoy easy and safe access throughout North Sydney.
- Transport management is coordinated at a regional level.
North Sydney Traffic and Parking Strategy
North Sydney Council has adopted an North Sydney Integrated Traffic and Parking Strategy (4MB) which outlines the key principles in Council’s approach to traffic and parking management on Council roads in line with the objectives and goals of the Community Strategic Plan.
The goals of the Strategy are to:
- Improve traffic and parking management across the LGA.
- Ensure that traffic and parking is balanced to meet the needs of road users, particularly residents and businesses both now and into the future.
- Encourage sustainable transport modes as alternatives to private motor vehicle use.
Local Area Traffic Management Action Plans (LATM)
Council developed LATM Action plans (formerly TAPAS) to manage traffic and parking across seven (7) Zones. The Action Plans will be used to coordinate a program of works and projects over the next 10 years. The Action Plans will also be updated and reviewed on an ongoing basis to ensure they are relevant and up-to-date. Consultation and planning, through several stages, sought in the creation of the Draft LATM plans