North Sydney Motorbike & Scooter Parking Strategy
Motorbike & Scooter Parking Strategy and Action Plan (1MB)
As an alternative to the single-occupancy motor vehicle, these vehicles can help to reduce parking demand and offset some of the negative impacts. In 2019, this strategy was developed to review the current motorbike parking network and identify opportunities to continue to support motorbikes and scooters as an alternative form of travel.
The objectives of this strategy are to:
- Offset the number of single occupant car trips to North Sydney with motorbike trips.
- Increase opportunities for motorbike parking through more efficient use of the available kerb space.
- Increase the quantity of dedicated motorbike parking spaces over the next 10 years, particularly in and around the North Sydney CBD.
Taxi and Ride Sourcing Strategy and Action Plan
Taxi and Ride Sourcing Strategy and Action Plan (2MB)
The aim is to review the existing taxi zones and consider what are the trip attractors that generate demand for taxis and ride sourcing in the North Sydney LGA. in 2020, it also identifies opportunities to increase taxi spaces and introduce new spaces for ride sourcing in high demand areas, while consolidating taxi zones in lower demand areas.
The objectives of this strategy are to:
- Locate and map the existing taxi ranks within the North Sydney LGA and assess how much these ranks are utilised;
- Locate high demand drop off / pick up areas for ride sourcing within the North Sydney LGA;
- Review current legislative provisions for taxi and ride sourcing operators.
- Increase the drop-off and pick-up spaces for taxi and ride sourcing within the North Sydney LGA by changing existing parking restrictions.
- Establish criteria for future request for additional taxi/ride sourcing ranks/spaces within the North Sydney LGA.
Resident Parking Permits
We have different fees for resident parking permits, based on the environmental impact of the vehicle, including the fuel consumption, greenhouse rating, and air pollution rating of the vehicle. Thus, smaller low-fuel consumption vehicles are charged a lower fee for resident parking permits, and larger vehicles with higher fuel consumption, are charged a higher fee for resident parking permits.
This highlights to residents the environmental impact of their motor vehicle, and encourages owning vehicles which have a lesser impact on the environment, find out more: Resident & Visitor Permits
Bike Lockers and Bike Parking
Council has bicycle lockers and bike parking (racks) at various key nodal points. The intent of this is to provide destination parking for bikes and to encourage the community to consider riding bikes on cycleways particularly for shorter distances of less than 5km.
North Sydney Council supports Car Share programs. Car sharing provides residents with 24/7 access to a number of vehicles parked nearby. Once residents have joined the service, they can book vehicles for as little as an hour via their phone or the internet. Members enjoy all the benefits of a car without the hassle and expense of owning one and they only pay for a car when they use it. Find out more on car share in North Sydney
- Council has progressively, from 2009 onwards, replaced existing trucks with Hybrid trucks.
- Council has purchased 16 Hybrid trucks to replace normal trucks in the fleet: each of these saves over 30% in total fuel consumption, thus not only is there a very significant reduction in emissions, the trucks actually pay for the extra Hybrid purchase price through the fuel savings across its life. This means the emissions saving is effectively costing Council nothing.
- All new trucks purchased comply with Euro 3 and (preferably) Euro 4 requirements, plus have catalytic converters.
- Ongoingly Council has moved to a fleet of vehicles that is generally smaller than previously.
- Where hybrid vehicles are not an option - ie. a wagon or larger sedan is required - we now purchase diesel vehicles where possible (for their very low comparative consumption), resulting in a 15-20% saving in emissions per vehicle.