Report a construction issue

If you have concerns about specific construction works, you should contact the nominated Principle Certifying Authority (PCA) in the first instance. A PCA can be a Private Certifier or the local Council. 

If a Private Certifier fails to address the concerns raised, Council should be contacted for further assistance. If you have concerns about the work of a Principle Certifying Authority, including Councils, Fair Trading can investigate.

Where urgent action is required because of environmental risks, or where there is a significant breach of the development consent, contact Council immediately. 

When you report an issue to Council, please provide the following information:

  • property address relating to the complaint
  • specific details of the issue
  • your contact details – these details will be kept confidential by Council Officers but are needed if further clarification of your concerns/issues are required
  • Development Application number (if known or applicable)
  • confirmation that the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) has been contacted in the first instance (if known or applicable).

Contact Council

Some developments do not need consent if they fall under the category of an 'exempt' or 'complying' development detailed in the planning documents below:

Damage to property

If a neighbouring construction site has caused damage to your property, you should still contact the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) in the first instance, before escalating to Council (if necessary). 

Council is unable to grant permission for one property owner to access another property to carry out works, including repair. 

As Council may only enforce requirements of a condition of a development consent, you may need to attend mediation with a Community Justice Centre or commence your own civil proceedings.

Contact Council

Our Customer Service Centre operates from 9am to 5pm. Our Council Rangers are on duty and contactable seven days a week from 5.30am to midnight.

Address: Customer Service Centre, 200 Miller Street, North Sydney, NSW 2060

Telephone: (02) 9936 8100

Approved out of hours works

Council may approve construction works outside of standard hours for public safety reasons.

See approved works
Aerial view of North Sydney

Development tracker

Search for a current or past development application or planning proposal on our Application Tracker website.

Find a development