Dividing fences and retaining walls

Dividing fences

In most instances, you will not need a Development Application for the installation of a dividing fence between properties.

To determine if your fence is exempt from needing development consent, check Parts 1 and 2 of State Environmental Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

If in doubt, speak to a Council Planning Advisor who will be able to provide guidance.

Submit a planning enquiry

However, you do need to inform your neighbour if you intent to install, fix or replace a dividing fence. The cost of a dividing fence is shared between adjoining land owners under the Dividing Fences Act 1991.

If you can't reach an agreement with your neighbour, you have the following options:

Aerial view of North Sydney

Development tracker

Search for a current or past development application or planning proposal on our Application Tracker website.

Find a development