North Sydney Museum Trail brochure (8MB)
Don Bank Museum
Don Bank Cottage is the oldest wooden house in North Sydney. Built in the first half of the 19th century, it was acquired by North Sydney Council in 1979 and converted into a local history museum.
On 20 October 1854 the Sydney Morning Herald described it thus:
"A pretty marine villa with commanding views of Port Jackson."
Don Bank is one of Council's premier historical sites open to the public. It is a rare example of an early timber slab house nestled in a remnant Victorian garden. Featuring the history of the house and its former occupants, Don Bank's displays focus on social history and our changing times.
Hours: Wednesdays 12-3pm and Sundays 2pm-4pm (closed public holidays)
Address: 6 Napier St, North Sydney, 2060
Phone: 9936 8400
Don Bank is also available for hire by community groups for regular meetings. The following groups meet at the museum:
- Live Poets At Don Bank - 4th Wed of month, 7.30-10.30pm: 9896 6956
- Lacemakers of Calais - 3rd Sat of month, 1-3pm (quarterly): 9440 3334
Don Bank Brochure (1MB)
St Thomas Rest Park
"Life and death on the north side."
Dedicated in 1848, St Thomas' Cemetery was the first burial ground on the North Shore. It was converted to a Rest Park in the 1970s. The Park contains interpretative signage for self-guided walks.
Guide and walking tour to some of the significant graves:
St Thomas Rest Park walking guide (2MB)
St Thomas Rest Park - Sailors, soldiers and civil servants (408KB)
View an A-Z index of burials at St. Thomas' Cemetery:
Go to the Australian Cemeteries website
Search the St. Thomas' Cemetery Headstones Index:
Sexton's Cottage Museum
Sexton's Cottage, once used for laying out bodies prior to burial, was restored and turned into a museum in 1984. It houses resources for researching the history of the cemetery and those buried there.
Hours: Thursdays 1-4pm, February-December (closed public holidays).
The Rest Park itself is open every day.
Address: 250 West St, Crows Nest
Phone: 9936 8400