Our work environment is constantly evolving so it is vital that we adopt and nurture a lifetime of learning. At North Sydney Council we embrace a balanced approach to learning and development: no one knows your goals and aspirations better than you, so you will be encouraged to take an active role in your own training and development. You will also be encouraged to work closely with your line manager to help identify learning opportunities.
We are responsible for ensuring you have the skills and competencies required to perform the duties of your position. Your line manager will help to identify appropriate learning and development opportunities and your learning may then occur via e-learning, on-the-job training or by participation in off-the-job training.
Comprehensive induction training is provided by your department and via e-learning, and then a schedule of courses make up our Training Calendar. Programs covering areas such as occupational health and safety, customer service, computer/system skills and supervision/team leadership programs are available to individuals as appropriate to their role.
Our employees have access to a wide variety of training activities, including attendance at professional conferences and seminars where appropriate. Council also provides education assistance to help you achieve recognised qualifications, (on application and approval, dependant upon financial year funding)
We are particularly focused on:
- providing opportunities for our team leaders and managers to develop their management and leadership skills - all supervisors and managers are encouraged to undertake accredited programs.
- ensuring all our occupational health and safety obligations are met
- e-Learning solutions - where delivery is on line, flexible and innovative
Performance Management - feedback, coaching and reward
Council has a performance assessment system titled 'Performance Planning and Assessment System' (PPA). This has been developed to:
- ensure individual objectives are established in accordance with Council's strategic goals
- ensure regular two way communication between employees and their supervisors/managers about performance and factors affecting performance
- ensure specific learning, development and training opportunities are identified, discussed and planned
- ensure staff have the opportunity to progress through the established salary ranges for their positions, and for career discussions to take place.