What parks are in the North Sydney Council area?
View and search the parks and reserves and facilities
Why book a Council park?
Public access to all of council's parks is free.
However, they can be hired for a special event, such as a wedding ceremony, birthday party or a family reunion. There are lots of demands on our parks for these special events, particularly during Spring and Summer.
Bookings on all other passive parklands are only required if there are 60 or more persons.
Bookings are required if a jumping castle/amusement/animal farm is present regardless of the number of persons in the group.
Bookings are required for all groups at the Wendy Whiteley garden regardless of group size.
When is a permit not required?
- If the number of people attending the gathering is less than sixty (60) for passive parks or less than thirty (30) for Bushland Reserves*
- If the purpose of the gathering is for taking wedding photographs.*
- If the gathering is on one of the following public holidays: New Years Eve, New Years Day and Australia Day.*
* Excludes Wendy Whiteley garden.
How do I get a permit?
To get a permit, you must first complete the application form below and pay the booking in full.
Permit for Social Gathering in Parks & Reserves (2MB)
Hirer Feedback Form (20KB)
Can I 'reserve' an area?
If you wish to 'reserve' a particular area, you can do so by putting picnic blankets on the ground (just as you would if you were at the beach), or by placing the tables and chairs accordingly. Someone must remain at the location until the other guests arrive. Unfortunately, you cannot cordon off the area by ropes, signs or barricades.
A permit allows you to have a 'social gathering' on a park. Unfortunately, it does not give you exclusive use of the park or give you a 'right over another group' (i.e. if someone is using the area that you had intended to use, you have no right to ask them to move).
- Marquees are not permitted in the North Sydney Council area.
- The driving of vehicles onto a park is not permitted under any circumstances.
- Portable gas barbecues are permitted (Nb. kettle or open flame barbeques are strictly prohibited). Before bringing your own barbecue onto the park, you must first check with NSW Fire Brigades (tel: 1800 679 737) to ensure there isn't a total fire ban in place. Drip mats must be placed under the barbeque to collect any spillage. Council will take steps to recoup costs should any damage occur.
- Certain activities can have damaging impacts on bushland, particularly small, fragmented and highly visited foreshore reserves that occur in North Sydney. In order to help protect our bushland for future generations to enjoy, the following activities are not permitted in Council’s bushland reserves:
- orienteering; geocaching; rock climbing; abseiling; mountain biking; camping; open fires.
- For more information, contact Council’s Bushland Management Team on 9936 8100.
Fees & Charges
Fees for a social gathering (includes weddings, picnics, and birthday parties etc) are in the permit (above).
Litter bins are essential if you are serving food or drink. You need one bin for every thirty (30) people attending the function. Cost: see permit.
Public Liability Insurance
Everyone must have insurance. If the booking is on behalf of a company, then you don't have to pay for Public Liability Insurance. However, you must include a copy of your Certificate of Currency (at the time of lodgement).
Note: It must include North Sydney Council as an 'Interested Party.' The policy must be for no less than $20 Million. Please review your policy closely as some policies may not cover your group activity if it's held away from the office.
If the booking is on behalf of an individual, then you will need to pay an additional fee. Cost: see permit.
In the case of wet weather rendering the park unfit for use, a refund may be given. Applications for refunds must be made in writing. Upon confirmation, a refund will be given minus $50 processing fee.
Note: This letter must be received by Council no later that fourteen (14) days after the event.
Payment can be made by cash, cheque or credit card. There is no need to make a visit to Council, just complete the Resource & Facility Hire - Credit Card Authority (88KB) and fax it to 9936 8474. A receipt will be mailed with your booking confirmation. Please let us know if your application is urgent, as your approval can also be emailed.
Credit Card Service Fee
Council charges a 0.75% service fee, inclusive of GST on transactions using Visa & MasterCard (credit, debit and prepaid).
Access Council Property
Business access to a Council property in its parks and reserves is restricted, but if access is required then please fill out this form
Permission to access Council property - Parks and Reserves (230KB)