It is the responsibility of each individual business to minimise the risk of an environmental incident by implementing appropriate control measures.
Regulatory powers are available to Council and its officers under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 to address air, noise, waste and water pollution offences.
Council is provided with a range of enforcement options including the service of clean up notices, prevention notices, noise abatement directions, smoke abatement directions, noise control notices, compliance cost notices and Penalty Infringement Notices (on the spot fines).
It should be noted that North Sydney Council Officers have jurisdiction only within the Local Government Area.
Significant penalties apply for not acting within the law:
- A 'tier 1' offence or the most serious offences carry a penalty of up to 7 years in jail, or $5M fine.
- A 'tier 2' offence carries a maximum penalty of $1M.
- Minor breaches can result in an infringement notice with a penalty of $4000 for an individual, and $8000 for a company.
Help Stop Illegal Fishing
Report illegal or suspect fishing activities, or damage to fish habitats, to the Department of Primary Industries (DPI) via:
- your nearest Fisheries Office
- the 24 hour Fishers Watch Phoneline on 1800 043 536
- the DPI online report form.