Vehicle access applications

Overview of vehicle access applications

In most instances, you will need to submit a Development Application for the construction of, or to move, a driveway, parking space, carport or garage.

If you have an existing parking space without a formal gutter crossing, you will need Council approval to install a gutter crossing. This may include the need to obtain development consent.

However, there are some exceptions under Parts 1 and 2 of State Environmental Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

Our planning advisors can help advise whether your hardstand space or carport is exempt from the need to obtain development consent.

Submit a planning enquiry

When development consent is required, the following will need to be considered:

  • North Sydney Local Environmental Plan (NSLEP) 2013 - Clause 5.10 - Heritage and Conservation (if the property is identified as a heritage item or located in a Conservation Area) If this is applicable, the Development Application will need to be accompanied by a Statement of Heritage Impact. Refer to our webpage on heritage property for further guidance. 


NSW Planning Portal

All development applications, planning proposals, and applications for some development certificates must be submitted via the NSW Planning Portal.

Go to the Portal