Vehicle access applications

Go back to web version

Print version

Overview of vehicle access applications

In most instances, you will need to submit a Development Application for the construction of, or to move, a driveway, parking space, carport or garage.

If you have an existing parking space without a formal gutter crossing, you will need Council approval to install a gutter crossing. This may include the need to obtain development consent.

However, there are some exceptions under Parts 1 and 2 of State Environmental Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

Our planning advisors can help advise whether your hardstand space or carport is exempt from the need to obtain development consent.

Submit a planning enquiry

When development consent is required, the following will need to be considered:

  • North Sydney Local Environmental Plan (NSLEP) 2013 - Clause 5.10 - Heritage and Conservation (if the property is identified as a heritage item or located in a Conservation Area) If this is applicable, the Development Application will need to be accompanied by a Statement of Heritage Impact. Refer to our webpage on heritage property for further guidance. 


Submit a vehicle access application

A Vehicle Access Application must be submitted to Council prior to the creation of any driveway in association with a development approval, or prior to the replacement or improvement of an existing vehicle crossing. 

A Vehicle Access Application must also be submitted prior to the opening of any road, footpath, grass verge or the like.

Vehicle Access Application

You will also need to complete and submit an application to Council to amend approved plans for changing vehicle access. 

Vehicle Access Amendment Application

For guidance on building specifications for vehicle access, you  can view our vehicle access design specification drawings.  

Go back to web version