When on a street or in a public place all dogs must be on a chain, cord or leash. Dogs found roaming the street will be impounded. Council Officers may issue on-the-spot fines to owners or persons in control of dogs for a range of offences, these offences include:
- Unregistered dog.
- No registration tag on the collar.
- No ID disk on collar.
- Not informing Council of changed ownership or address details.
- Exercising an unmuzzled greyhound.
- Dog in a public place not under the effective control of a competent person.
- Dog in a prohibited place.
- Dog defecating in a public place without removal.
- Dog making an offensive noise.
- Cats trespass in a Wildlife Protection Area (WPA).
Fines are set by the NSW State Government legislated for by the Companion Animals Act.